What's new

Ever let a domain go that's been snapped up?

johno69

Top Contributor
Have you ever let a domain expire that has been snapped up and developed?

I was just searching a few old names I have had that I let go and saw a few were actually developed.

A few were actually snapped up by members here, and are pretty much sitting dormant.

I guess I should have had more patience, time will tell I guess.

johno69

Top Contributor
one was

automall.com.au - James W has that
gameconsoles.com.au - Fabulous

facesofaustralia.com - developed.

that's just a few.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i did just let 3d-tv.com.au drop , no one picked it up in the drop auctions, but someone has hand regged it already , which is ok because let it drop to get 3dgame.com.au . So just a trade off in my books , i am trying to stick to my budget , yes a domainer on a budget .......unheard of

DavidL

Top Contributor
Dropped domaintradingpost.com.au due to arrangement made with Telstra's lawyers and Publishing Australia picked it up LOL

Heh heh - Couldn't resist :)

Dropped a few domains only to see them go for a couple of hundred on drop.com.au and DW. One man's trash is another's treasure I guess.

We're looking to have no reserve auctions running on Netfleet in the not to distant future. This will be a great option for people to see if they can get some sort of return for those marginal domains prior to expiry.

The damn registrar transaction fees will not make it easy but it might help a few people out. $50 is better than nothing (and potentially a 100% profit!)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
sorry but i feel we dont have a market as such due to fees and restrictions , perhaps buy and hold is best for now ?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
I don't think they were ever snapped up since I'm pretty sure they dropped before there were any aussie dropcatchers, but I let HealthInsuranceQuote.com.au and CorrespondenceCourses.com.au expire. Both pretty decent domains in my opinion - feel kind of annoyed at myself looking back, but live and learn I guess.

marketingweb

Top Contributor
A slightly different story, but a lonnggg time ago (around 10 years ago or probably a bit more) I registered a domain name giftworld.com.au for a friend's "real life" business, and had a full on e-commerce site including our own merchant account (pre paypal in Australia), shipping our own stock etc etc. Was my first foray into developing a "real" website after a couple personal ones.

Anyway it ran for around 2-3 years with some success, then we gave up on it due to a change in his business direction and the fact it wasn't making the big bucks, and i'm guessing let the name lapse.

I then noticed a year later advertisments in a newsagent window for giftworld.com.au as a much larger and more general online shopping site. Went and had a look, and it was quite a nice site.

Checked back just now, the name is registered but doesn't even resolve! So clearly it's been the site of TWO failed online ventures!

On the other side of the fence I hand registered startpages.com.au and joom.com.au late last year after someone had let both lapse. I'm working on a business directory site for startpages and another "web 2.0" type idea I won't mention yet for Joom, so hopefully i'll be one of the ones who make better use!

Matt
http://www.marketingweb.com.au

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics