What's new

Estibot domain appraisals - do they carry any credence?

shags38

Top Contributor
Does anyone have any views on the accuracy / credence / value or not of Estibot appraisals??

Would you use an Estibot appraisal amount in Netfleet Listings for example and/or refer to it for a domain listing at aftermarket auction? I will be auctioning off some names soon and do not want to be seen to be a greenhorn by highlighting the Estibot appraisal value of the domains if it is a no no :confused:

A year ago I put no credence at all in Estibot - any and every 3D domain got a zero appraisal - now that has changed, the algorithms have obviously been updated. However in asking the question I am referring to NON 3D domains OK :) - so standard domains without numerals and in particular AU extensions, .com.au and .net.au (.net.au seems to be treated as a Leper just like 3D used to be). I personally suspect the appraisal algorithms are using dot com as the benchmark then using a "factor" to devalue down to a dot com dot au domain without necessarily taking local market conditions into play. Apples.com.au is regarded as 1/xth of Apples.com - any thoughts?

cheers,
Mike

snoopy

Top Contributor
It is mostly way too high value wise, not always, 95% of the time. A few years ago I collated some stats on it compared to actual auction prices. On average it was about 30% right, ie it would be out by three fold as an average. For reg fee type names it can be particulary inaccurate, eg $2000 valuations on names worth nothing.

Having said all that it is the best of any automated tool by a wide margin. I'd compare it to having a pretty ordinary domainer sitting next to you, that is not bad for $20/month. I use it alot personally but need to assume the resultsare very rough.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Btw I don't think it is a good idea to use it in marketing names unless the buyers are inexperienced, many would see it as a sign of a bad name.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo