What's new

Entity Change, ABN stays the same.

johno69

Top Contributor
Here's a question for the policy gurus.

If someone is registered as a sole trader with an ABN & has a business name to trade as, then changes to a pry ltd company but the ABN stays the same, do their domains stating sole trader then become invalid registrant details?

What would need to be done to rectify?

neddy

Top Contributor
Paul, given that the ABN hasn't changed, you may be able to get away with a simple "correction to registrant details". It will probably depend on how friendly or helpful your current registrar is!

On the other hand, they may say that a company is a separate legal entity, and thus you have to do a COR.

Here's a helpful article from auDA. The key phrase is this one:

"This may also involve a name change in the relevant Government database where the ABN or ACN has not changed. This does not involve a transfer of domain name licence and does not result in a new two year domain name licence being issued."

johno69

Top Contributor
Thanks Ned. I'm about to go Pty Ltd and not real keen to have to COR my portfolio. I'll contact my registrar and see what they can do.

Alternatively it would be a new ABN and COR at renewal time. Either way the domains are still with me as such.

Thanks again.

Shane

Top Contributor
I'm 99.9999% sure you won't be able to keep the same ABN when going from sole trader to company anyway.

You can change your company name and keep the same ABN, but you can't change your business structure (i.e. from sole trader to company) and keep the same ABN since it will be an entirely new entity.

johno69

Top Contributor
That's even better. I'd still like to keep my ABN for other purposes.

When I go to register the pty ltd it fails due to duplicate name unless I use that ABN. I'll try again.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member