What's new

Email lists

helloworld

Top Contributor
Err. Not sure where to put this, if at all. But anyway...client wants to buy an email list for Melbourne.

Not sure if this is possible/legal etc ? IF it is please hit me up

(mods feel free to delete if inappropriate)

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
It's a valid question - I've had clients ask me the same thing.

Obviously you can't buy a quality list, so my feeling is that the best way to do this is send your eDM via someone else's list who has their subscribers trust (like an affiliate marketer would do). Less spammy, but more expensive in the long run.

Otherwise I'd spend the money you would have spent on the list running a promo to harvest emails (ie. Facebook competition).

ps. say g'day to Scrivo for me

helloworld

Top Contributor
Yeah I agree with that. That also crossed my mind last night. There's a few publications In clients industry that would have big lists.

Email harvest is a good idea.

Scrivo says "do you need a new website" ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
so my feeling is that the best way to do this is send your eDM via someone else's list who has their subscribers trust (like an affiliate marketer would do)

i'd advise against this, if you haven't gained the list YOURSELF then you will trash the trust of the person who gave it to you with their clients.

there is another thread on this where i subscribed to a newsletter and then got emails from the guys wifes' NEW business which didn't make me happy because the ONLY way he could have got THAT email address was via that newsletter

there is another thread on dnt about scraping YP data but not sure if we ended up getting email address processed into excel or CSV

as for legal, i don't think its illegal once it is in the public arena eg: YP, business card, paper advert etc as long as you make sure you have an unsubscribe then you should be fine.

i also researched buying lists and it was quite expensive i felt with now guarantees and often MANYYY duplicates.

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Tim I was talking about a scenario where I give you my newsletter template and you send it to your list on my behalf.

Not you giving me your list, to send myself.

Like helloworld said, can work well when the demographics/industries align.

As part of a b2b lead generation campaign I did last year, I contacted several industry associations who were more than happy to sell me space in their newsletters. Infact, half of them had media kits.

findtim

Top Contributor
ok i misunderstood

b2b media kits: sounds good, symbiotic relationships are also VERY handy in promotions.

we are starting one now were the major player wanted to provide a service but just couldn't afford the manpower/knowledge/facilities needed but knew if they could it would be an asset to their service, value add, so we have taken that role on board and will be cross linking the sites in harmony which is great as its a common goal and completely different IP's and owners.

they gain the clients value add and we gain a huge network of potential customers and their email DATABASE :D.

note: both are not for profit orgs so its a "feel good" job which i think is ok to have some in your life.

look for WIN WIN.

tim

James

Top Contributor
No one would sell a quality list, so if some one is selling you a list it probably means 20 other people have it and the list would be low quality. You could try and advertise on a niche list for a cost, but good ones also cost a bit ie $500 per placement on list or more.

One of my clients has build a list of 200k+ range in the education space and they do not really use it maybe once or twice a month. It shocks me how brands like Kogan just spam their list example - http://jamesnorquay.com/4-years-kogans-email-list-time-unsubscribe/

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member