What's new

email database honesty

findtim

Top Contributor
[ this was not a dnt member ]

i got an email this afternoon promoting a new business, i know EXACTLY where they got my email address as its the only email i get with this particular typo in my business name, i never signed up for the newsletter but i haven't unsubscribed as it gives me some local news in a place i have clients.

but today i get an email promoting this other business, i haven't signed up to that either but now i think this guy is selling off my email address? and others ?

yes we all get spam but this is an australian business that STATES they won't share your email address !

SO, i ring the guy, and i let him know how i feel as i don't want him to think he can sell off my email address ( yes anyone can get my email address but its the fact he gave it away that pissed me off ) , his reply was " i didn't give it away , that is my wifes new business" , so i told him i'm not sure but i think you broke some laws here today? and his reply was that he would happily remove me from the database inwhich i said NO remove everyone !

yes we all want to build a database of email addresses but IF you are going to put onto a website that you will not give/sell/share someones email then bloody well do it.

the thing is he still doesn't know my email address so if i get another one he is dead in the water, he lives in a town i know very well with MANY clients, he's on the council so that will be fun, people just have to realise you need to act responsibly in business. We all have our faults, god knows i have loadsssss but if you say somethign then do it ( seems to be my theme for today )

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD..PC/pc=PC_310294

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Good on you for calling Tim! Unfortunately the anti spam laws are a fair joke

A more legitimate way is for business A to send out a promotion for business B and offer an incentive for people to signup to business B's list. That way you can maintain a quality list

findtim

Top Contributor
Good on you for calling Tim! Unfortunately the anti spam laws are a fair joke

A more legitimate way is for business A to send out a promotion for business B and offer an incentive for people to signup to business B's list. That way you can maintain a quality list

YEP, thats what i told him, he's a well known website in the area so i thought he'd have more brains? but i can tell you i don't think he got much sleep last night after i phoned him, i rang a mate who's on his email list and he told me he got the new email also and my mate said " maybe i'll ring him in the morning...... " anyway, one small step for mankind LOL

tim

bradderick

Hey Tim,

That has happened to me before. Glad you said something to him.

It also happens to my staff, except usually via snail mail. Then once your name and address are out in the wild....well all kinds of offers start floating through.

Cheers,

Brad

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads