What's new

Election Statement Discussion

findtim

Top Contributor
just saying ! how can anyone vote for someone where no policies/standing have been mentioned? I told jim about this thread and good on him for posting but where are the rest? surely simon is keeping a close eye on whats happening although i noticed he and the others haven taken up neds offer as well.
admin, have they been informed?
tim

chris

Top Contributor
just saying ! how can anyone vote for someone where no policies/standing have been mentioned? I told jim about this thread and good on him for posting but where are the rest? surely simon is keeping a close eye on whats happening although i noticed he and the others haven taken up neds offer as well.
admin, have they been informed?
tim

Not sure @findtim, but I'd assume that anyone taking the election seriously will have seen this post. I've just made it a sticky as well.

findtim

Top Contributor
maybe to be totally fair dnt pops them an email, that way they can't say they didn't know !
tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I have been told some candidates do not want to post here or on Domainer.com.au ...They feel they may get abuse or too many questions... or they may be on the existing board etc and "unable to comment".

It seems strange since they want votes and know the issues being raised... Once they post I suppose they can't say they did not know about complaints or issues... Every candidate and board member knows the issues..Many are ducking and weaving it seems... Past examples of some candidates show they send an email soliciting votes each few years promising change and to listen, do not engage on the forums at all.... we have seen it for many years. Even worse are the ones who are voted in and never come back to the forum or to members questions! This has happened also.

Nice to to see a few candidates standing up at least. Congrats Shane and Tim.

Good model Australia should consider: https://cira.ca/about-cira/board-and-governance/board-directors-election
https://cira.ca/supporting-nomineecandidate
Campaign forum https://cira.ca/2016-campaign-forum
------
Dntrade Admin move post if appropriate

Lemon

Top Contributor
So Tim & Shane in the spirit of continuous disclosure how many .com.au / .net.au do you own

findtim

Top Contributor
i've always mentioned it, i was up to @ 400 at one stage but have sold a few without promoting them, just been asked and i have dropped many of my STUPID early purchases through what i have learnt here on dnt so now its @ 320. I'm all for dropping more mistakes, i put the expense down to "learning" and better to have the guts to off load then hold a dead bird.
i'd say @ 5 very significant ones and the rest are for small business ideas that i work through.
i like a domain name that just makes a few hundred each year, tick tick tick as i build them to be very low maintenance
now, before i purchase, i must have a concept and an exit strategy as i buy/build/sell not really domaining/domainer.
with helena now working full time in the business ( and kids well into school) its becoming easier to develop as she handles just about everything else leaving me time to output.
i think if you read some of my posts there's not really much you wouldn't find out about me.
i also manager about the same number for clients.
tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Strange ........ I thought I started this thread for the statements of the candidates, a good example of why .au will emerge, people just can't leave things alone ......leave you with it

Shane

Top Contributor
So Tim & Shane in the spirit of continuous disclosure how many .com.au / .net.au do you own
Around 100 for me.

As with Tim I previously owned more, but have let a lot of lower quality names drop over the last few years.

I'd say around 90% of my names relate to my businesses and the rest are just 'nice' domains.

Lemon

Top Contributor
So if either of you get elected you would have to exclude yourselves from participating in discussions relating to second level registrations due to a conflict of interest.
It does present a small issue for me as to why I would give you my vote if you cant take part in discussions relating to something that is of major importance.

Shane

Top Contributor
So if either of you get elected you would have to exclude yourselves from participating in discussions relating to second level registrations due to a conflict of interest.
It does present a small issue for me as to why I would give you my vote if you cant take part in discussions relating to something that is of major importance.
I would not be excluding myself from such discussions.

Whether or not direct registrations are implemented will have no material impact upon my businesses.

The auDA meeting minutes from 20 June show that whilst one director (Erhan) excluded himself on the basis of his domain portfolio, a number of other directors (namely Stuart and Simon) did not exclude themselves despite declaring an interest in < 100 AU domains each.

findtim

Top Contributor
if that was the case you'd find it hard and worthless to find a board, and before i answer please don't treat me like an idiot with a "set up and release" series of questions" it demeans you not me.

there are a few significant differences to where i stand as opposed to the supply that voted
1st i do not set to profit from my stand, in actual fact i will loose money from clients NOT having to pay me for extra services.
2nd i am nominating because i feel the decision has been made unfairly
3rd i want to be there so we get the right answer and not the one pushed on us.

i see no conflict of interest, the domains owned by others i will represent , all those people who have not been informed far out weights my small portfolio.
tim

Lemon

Top Contributor
if that was the case you'd find it hard and worthless to find a board, and before i answer please don't treat me like an idiot with a "set up and release" series of questions" it demeans you not me.
I am just trying to decide who and how I vote.

just saying ! how can anyone vote for someone where no policies/standing have been mentioned?
Like you said

I do actually agree with some of your standings and it is highly unlikely I would vote for someone who has not made their case. However because candidates don't express their views on DNTrade and/or Domainer does not mean to say they have not done so. Like I said there are some important issues to be decided in the next few years. It's interesting that past nominees have expressed their views on DNTrade but once they are on the board seem to have lost their voice even though they were probably elected by votes of some of the members here.

findtim

Top Contributor
candidates don't express their views on DNTrade and/or Domainer
true, but they did all have the opportunity to do it on the auda mail out and most just put up a CV.
past nominees have expressed their views on DNTrade but once they are on the board seem to have lost their voice
yes, one of the reasons i am running, i'm very disappointed in that fact. all we can do is hold them to what they said but marching with our vote.
Some directors seem to have no problems in voicing themselves outside the board room whist other do have problems,

tim

Lemon

Top Contributor
i see no conflict of interest, the domains owned by others i will represent , all those people who have not been informed far out weights my small portfolio.
Really??

Erhan
I see you excluded yourself from participation with respect to the implementation of second level registrations in the board minutes because of your portfolio of domains what is your personal opinion?

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Really??

Erhan
I see you excluded yourself from participation with respect to the implementation of second level registrations in the board minutes because of your portfolio of domains what is your personal opinion?

Lemon,
Can you explain how being a registrant (regardless of the number of domains) would be a conflict? Surely it's a requirement for demand?
Andrew

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Actually some registrars and Supply auDA board members also hold their own portfolio of domain names... How many people know this and have they disclosed it? At least Erhan has.

I have seen generic .com.au names it appears fully owned by auDA board member Melbourne IT as just one example but I know many auDA supply members have generic .com.au names they have kept for themselves! They must have used the " close and substantial connection clause" ..... That clause just needs to be deleted and the registration space opened like it is in most countries. ;)

Lemon

Top Contributor
Lemon,
Can you explain how being a registrant (regardless of the number of domains) would be a conflict?
From looking at the minutes of auda board meeting it seems to me that auDA has taken some legal advice and board members are declaring if they have a portfolio of more than a 100 domains and those that do are declaring a conflict of interest. Don't forget that these rules and regulations are in place under the Corporation Act and are not made up by auDA.

Auda Constitution
22.3 Votes by Interested Directors
Subject to the Corporations Act, a Director who has a material personal interest in a matter that is being considered at a meeting of Directors:
a. must not vote on the matter (or in relation to a proposed resolution under paragraph (ii) of this clause in relation to the matter, whether in relation to that or a different Director); and
b. must not be present while the matter (or a proposed resolution of that kind) is being considered at the meeting,

I suppose it is up to a Director and the board to decide what material personal interest is. Joe has obviously decided that he has no conflict and if elected would have to make statements to that effect and be held accountable as are all board members.

This year a decision will be made on .au. Obviously there will be winners and losers and the mechanism and allocation of .au will be dependent on the board. So if you have a board member who owns 400 .com.au which way will he vote. If you have a board member who owns 400 .net.au which way will he vote. Obviously they have a conflict in interest.

Surely it's a requirement for demand?

I am not sure that owning a domain is a requirement for demand. I see our new Demand Class Board Member Dr Michaella Richards is not even a demand member of auDA and who would know if she owns any domains or not.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member