What's new

Dropped Domain Stats

nt81

Top Contributor
The more drops that I archive, the longer it takes to run all my scripts. Yesterday I kicked off my "re-checker" job which basically goes through all .AU domains that have been dropped (Since Aug 26, 2013) and checks if they are registered or not. The script took 27 hours to run this time. Last month it was almost 24 hours run time.

I know, this is geek Data - but you might like to see it.

.AU TLD Drops (.com.au / .net.au / .org.au / .asn.au / .id.au)

Indexed Drops : 208,583
Dropping Today : 908
Available : 187,773

Joel

Top Contributor
Good stuff nt81. Can I ask how you're checking if the domain is registered? Is the script simply polling AusRegistry for 27 hours straight?!

nt81

Top Contributor
API domain availability checker.

Going to try to keep it to once per month.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
So is the purpose of this to calculate what percentage of domains that expire are renewed? In which case is it basically saying it's around 10%?

And if this indeed is the case it looks like Drop and NetFleet are only catching 25% of these re-registrations AT BEST. So the vast majority must be being hand re-registered after their expiration.

nt81

Top Contributor
My project has a wider purpose, but I'm into sharing, so I just thought that I would put this out there for the stats nerds.

And yes, these stats would cover domains which have expired since August and have been caught by Drop or Netfleet and also shows those which have been hand re-registered in that time period.

More info on my project will become available in a couple of months time when I have 6 months worth of drop data available.

findtim

Top Contributor
I am sure the registras say to themselves " WHY do we register so many domains at 2.04pm everyday" ?

tim

nt81

Top Contributor
I actually find that the drop list is updated several times per day :) My cron job is checking every 6 hours and it returns varying amounts of domains each time.

So while you might see the bulk of them updated at 2:04pm there are others that "appear" earlier / later.

There are domains dropping 24 hours a day. e.g

2014-02-07 21:35:33 sproutfinancial.net.au
2014-02-07 21:35:33 imageaddiction.net.au
2014-02-07 21:55:31 deicon.com.au
2014-02-07 21:55:31 billusonchurch.com.au
2014-02-07 21:55:31 jacarandaquilting.com.au
2014-02-07 22:05:28 cobi.com.au

findtim

Top Contributor
Yes, true that.

I'm sure it would be a drop in the ocean though.

based on your numbers there is @ 138 domains registered a day, this is VERY loose estimates :)

so take out drops, then divide by lets say 9am - 5pm, cancel out weekends, add in the number of domainers.

then i think 2.04pm is NOT a drop in the ocean :D

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads