1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Drop vs Netfleet - Backorder after auDA complaint

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by laxation, Oct 14, 2013.

1. laxation

laxation Membership: Community

I'm a little confused about the backordering process and how the different companies compete.

As far as I can ascertain, each company tries their darnedest to snap up a domain after it expires. In my instance, I'm hoping a complaint to the .auDA will get the domain registration cancelled as the holder looks like he should be ineligible.

So assuming the auDA listens investigates the complaint and cancels the registration, the domain name becomes open for business.

Does that mean whichever company snaps it up tries to sell it - either by backorder or puts it on an auction?

FWIW, I will apply for Netregistry and Drop (Because of a technicality I cannot use Netfleet)

Also, if the domain doesn't get taken by Netregistry or Drop, how do I know where it has gone?

2. zhenjie

zhenjie Membership: VIP

Back-ordering is offered by Netfleet but not by Drop. It simply means NF will skip the usual auction process that is open to the public and will TRY to catch the domain when it drops just for you.

Drop will go through the usual auction process in the day leading up to the domain expiring. You will have to be the highest bidder on this platform if you want to guarantee catching this domain.

Drop and Netfleet compete against each other when the domain expires. Hence you need to be the highest bidder / Backorder customer on both if you really want the name.

Note that some generic domain names (high search, high value) can not be backordered on Netfleet.

1 person likes this.
  3. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    ??

4. laxation

If no one has placed a backorder on Netfleet, will it still try to catch the dropped domain?

If Netregistry and Drop do not get the domain once dropped, how do I know where it's gone and how do I get it?

5. laxation

Need an ABN or ACN to place a backorder

6. FirstPageResults

FirstPageResults Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You'll need that, or similar (VIC BN etc) anyway in order to be eligible to register a .com.au:

7. laxation

These don't require ACN or ABN:

c) an Australian partnership or sole trader;

d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark ; or

8. FirstPageResults

auDA Member:
    Yes
    If no one bids or backorders on Netfleet then they will not try and catch it.

After the purge/drop you'll need to do a WHOIS to check its availability:
    http://whois.ausregistry.net.au/whois/whois_local.jsp?

1 person likes this.
  9. jamesrayers

jamesrayers Membership: Trader

A couple of questions if I may:

If a domain such as MySuper was backordered with NetFleet at the approximate cost of $250, would it not go into the auction? In which case NetFleet stand to lose $27.75k.

Further to that are the resources allocated to grabbing that domain equivalent to a bid of $200 or a bid of $10?

10. James

James Membership: VIP

Netfleet usually does not allow valuable domains like mysuper to be back ordered in the first place, as zhen states earlier any thing with high search volume and high commercial value can not be back ordered.

the last time I remember they had a backorder on a valuable domain was Hardware.com.au which sold for 33k a few years ago, DROP caught the domain and a user here had a back order on the domain.

I doubt they will ever allow such a thing to happen again.

11. laxation

Netfleet reserves some names, preventing you from backordering them. I.e. for Mysuper, it says, "This domain has been reserved by our system and if released will be sold via our Snapper auction
    You can signup for a FREE Alert and we will email you if the domain is due to be purged"

12. laxation

The backorders have been placed and complaint lodged with auDA.

How will I know when to look at Drop to see if their servers picked up the domain?

13. FirstPageResults

auDA Member:
    Yes

Hopefully you’ve familiarised yourself with the rules before lodging a complaint, and it's not being done in bad faith.

My understanding is IF the complaint falls in your favour, auDA will instruct the domain registrar to delete the domain. At which point it will fall into a "pending delete" phase for 14 calendar days before being purged.

2 people like this.
  14. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You sound like a top bloke.

15. laxation

I'm not familiar with the domain etiquette... This guy has a name I need to get

16. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Considered negotiating a deal?

1 person likes this.
  17. zhenjie

Didn't know Drop had backorder?

18. laxation

They don't AFAIK

19. zhenjie

The registrant has a chance to respond to the complain. So if he lets it slip then really he doesn't wnat the domain. Not condoning this technique but its certainly one to explore if the current registrant is unresponsive, actually is not entitled to it and not done in bad faith.

20. laxation

He isn't entitled to it - not eligible, thus the complaint!