What's new

domains in india

findtim

Top Contributor
of course i have been traveling and my eye is on billboards and anything domain name.

i'd say from my trip so far .com is the strongest in india, followed by .co.in proven by the redirect of many TOP brands from the .in to .co.in eg: google !

and last is .in, i can honestly say a LONGGGGGGGGGGG WAY last, there are some big companies using .in but once again they all seem to have redirects for the duplication of the domain name.

my web guys here tell me for indian businesses they will always try for the.com FIRST, then the .co.in and then maybe they can get the .in if the business is in another vertical ( dove soap / dove chocolate theory ) but once again they say india has duplicate registrations.

they tell me many times they get asked to register competing .in names but they refuse as their reputation is to important to them.

i have seen very few trademarks next to words or logos and no copyright ones.

here and kuala lumpur they seem pretty honest, if they are selling you something fake like raybans etc they will openly say its a fake.

in mumbai i found the :
regency hotel
hotel regency
hotel golden regency
hotel regent
regent hotel

so its just a big laugh, but with mumbaihaving @ 18 million people in 1 city no bigger then sydney or melbourne, perhaps even smaller !!! actually definately smaller there's just no time to argue ! just do whatever you like.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Interesting because .in started a long time ago when the internet had very low penetration in India.

It started at the right time and sounds like it still was early enough to get a strong foothold.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Sounds like the introduction of the .in stuffed the credibility/trust in the .co.in

I'd suggest the same is about to happen here if it isn't stopped.

Yes, it is very similar to China where the lack of clarity on what to choose perhaps results in a lot of people choosing .com instead. Both India and China have this 3 way split going on.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo