What's new

Domain8 Server Problems

soj

Founder
Today I woke up in sunny Nice, logged into Domain8 only to find that 99% of the domains hit the drop zone, only TWO were caught. Looked in my email account and found this email from George.

Hello Michael Sojevic (S3 Studios Pty Ltd),

I would like to sincerely apologize for today's poor auction performance. Quite frankly I am embarrassed. I will strive to do what ever possible to improve your user experience and to ensure this does not occur again.

Even though today's performance is inexcusable I think it is important that I offer you some insight about what we believe where the circumstances that led to today's result, and also what we intend do the about fixing the problem.

We have previously noted and logged performance issues on days with large domain lists, as well as days with highly contested domains. Clearly these two factors combined today and caused CRITICAL SERVER LOADS that resulted in the service degradation experienced. These issues were undoubtedly further compounded by our rapidly increasing customer base and increased last minute bidding activity.

I take this matter very serious and promise to focus more resources towards resolving our auction performance. A full review has been commissioned to identify where we can improve our auction software and database table structures, along with any possible network and hardware improvements, that will better manage high traffic loads.

Although we are treating this issue as a very high priority, we will still need to test any proposed changes so we don't introduce new bugs. So while we work towards any improvements, I suggest that when possible you load your max bids earlier when the server loads are lower. This compromise is not ideal, but it is the only short term remedy that I can suggest in case the servers are not available in the final minutes again.

My sincere apologies once more to everybody that was adversely affected today.

Best Regards,

George Pongas | CEO
DOMAIN8 PTY LTD
Anyone else have any domains they were heavily bidding on which hit the drop zone? I was on the money for RewardPoints.com.au (perfect for a credit card site) but alus Domain8 let me down :(

DavidL

Top Contributor
I was going for 12 and had my bids prepared ready to hit go when it froze. It is the first time it's happened on D8

Lot of people got some cheap domains today...

neddy

Top Contributor
Likewise - I was so peed off! I had logged in earlier, checked what I wanted to bid on, then logged off. Then tried to log on at 10.20am, but couldn't get on. Frozen out! I frantically phoned George on his mobile, only to get voicemail! My reaction at the time was intense!

Anyway, it's happened, and we can't bring back the past. I'm sure George feels absolutely ghastly, and is going to be doing his best to make things work better from here on in.

Cheers, Ned

P.S. And Soj, I was also going for rewardpoints.com.au! :D How much were you prepared to pay? LOL!

soj

Founder
Well well well, I had put in a bid for $300 for rewardpoints, that was the third bid i had put in after my original $100 haha.

I just checked my email now, and got an email from Domain8 saying I had won the domains I had bid on. So I guess all went well in the end.

How did your guys domain auctions go, Im sure when you check your email in the morning, you'll have a couple of nice surprises.

neddy

Top Contributor
You lucky bugger Soj!

No email in my in tray - I couldn't log on because of Domain8's server problems.

Good luck to you!

Cheers, Ned

DOMAIN8

Hi Guys,

Just wanted you all to know that we made some significant improvements to our auction database last week. Hopefully you all noticed the changes at today's auction.

Today was the first Monday after the improvements and everything ran great. Monday is traditionally a high volume day with, many bids, many domains, and a huge list coming in off the weekend.

Any feedback to report? I am interested to hear what people experienced today at our drop auction. Please include some basic details about your CPU, Browser, OS, and Connection.

Best Regards,
George Pongas | CEO
DOMAIN8 Pty Ltd

DavidL

Top Contributor
All good for me, thanks George. I grabbed a dozen I think.

Big day for you guys! SpringRacing.com.au at $3,211??!!

soj

Founder
Running fine for me too George, though 95% of the time I have put in bids the night before.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo