What's new

Domain Snapper Auctions

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Folks

It's taken a taken a while for us to get here, but at last we're happy to annouce the release of our Domain Snapper Auction platform!

Like other drop/catch platforms, highest bidder wins the chance to have the expiring domain name registered in their name. No win/catch, no fee. All successfully caught domain names will also incur our standard domain name registration cost of $44.95 on top of the winning bid.

We have two subscription options:

1) 48 hour subscription @ $9.95 (for the more tentative users)
2) Annual subscription @ $109.95

Please follow this link for full details, and information on how to subscribe, and to view the platform:

http://www.netfleet.com.au/expiring-domains

All bugs, feedback and suggestion are very welcome, so please do get in touch

Thanks,
Mark

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Hi Mark,

I still can`t understand why we have to pay just to try the service.

I don`t pay to try Pool/NameJet (Snapnames must pay me if they want me to use them)

I don`t pay to enter a fancy restaurant and checking it out. I pay if I eat/drink there.

While I notice now the cheapest option available, it still does not make sense to me to have to pay with no guarantee of anything.

I may sound like a bitch in this forum since I just complained about AUDA`s transfer fees but really, if we want this .com.au aftermarket to take off, my advice is not to squeeze domainers like lemons.

My opinion....hope it does not offend you/your company.

Best regards

Honan

Top Contributor
Really?

So what if something like cars.com.au came up and the auctioneer wants it.
Effectively they could outbid everyone by millions, safe in the knowledge they won't have to pay it?

Is this correct?
drop and netfleet have publicly stated that they do not place bids on their own auction sites

DavidL

Top Contributor
Thanks Joe,

And yeah I believe them too, having now dealt with both.

But my question was .. 'could they?'

In theory we could consider the following:

1) the second it drops everybody would scramble to whois and check the new owner. If it was apparent the drop catcher had caught the domain for themselves, it would be a big hit to credibility

2) the drop catcher would be missing out on the cold hard cash that the underbidder was prepared to pay. Eg they put in a phoney bid of $1,000,001 to out bid the highest genuine bid of $1,000,000, they'd be missing out on that revenue.

3) if the drop catcher really only set up the systems to catch domains for themselves, why bother with the hundreds of hours of stuffing around with front-ends, payment systems, marketing etc etc

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
drop and netfleet have publicly stated that they do not place bids on their own auction sites

Just to be clear: At DROP we have publicly stated that we do not place bids on our own auction site, and IMPORTANTLY neither will we place bids at other auction sites. This is our opinion is a conflict of interest.

Regards,
George Pongas

montecristo

Top Contributor
In theory we could consider the following:

1) the second it drops everybody would scramble to whois and check the new owner. If it was apparent the drop catcher had caught the domain for themselves, it would be a big hit to credibility

2) the drop catcher would be missing out on the cold hard cash that the underbidder was prepared to pay. Eg they put in a phoney bid of $1,000,001 to out bid the highest genuine bid of $1,000,000, they'd be missing out on that revenue.

3) if the drop catcher really only set up the systems to catch domains for themselves, why bother with the hundreds of hours of stuffing around with front-ends, payment systems, marketing etc etc

Relax, I only asked the question of if it were possible. No one is accusing anyone of anything, even though there is a direct answer to each of your replies above.

A yes or no from the start would of sufficed.

And still hasn't come. hahaha!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Relax, I only asked the question of if it were possible. No one is accusing anyone of anything, even though there is a direct answer to each of your replies above.

A yes or no from the start would of sufficed.

And still hasn't come. hahaha!

LOL - no worries, answer is YES!

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i may be wrong but did netfleet pose the qestion of chasing domains thier service was chasing , except at a another drop service ?

I am in the why do we have to pay to participate camp ???

So far it seems everyone in the aussie market wants participation fees , i have only seen this in the aussie market , i think it's bad practice

davids

Top Contributor
So far it seems everyone in the aussie market wants participation fees , i have only seen this in the aussie market , i think it's bad practice

From what I'd think, having it as a paid service will generally keep only the serious customers there-- preventing false bids, random accounts driving up prices, etc. For the reasonably small cost to participate, it's not much of an ask to pay.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i dont pay at sedo and they are the biggest auction company, 100domains asked for a token $1 this is another story , sorry but too greedy for me

Shaun

Top Contributor
i dont pay at sedo and they are the biggest auction company, 100domains asked for a token $1 this is another story , sorry but too greedy for me

Spacey, it's a premium service. I think a nominal fee is fine.

As mentioned above, it keeps the serious buyers there and prevents any fraudulent bidding etc.

If you are serious about buying domains (which I know you are), a small fee to have the opportunity to get expired domains which you may potentially snap up cheaper (only by having access) to get a higher price when you eventually sell is not bad.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
sorry i am not as serious about the australian market as you think , too many setbacks , too many fees at every door , they all want fees but dont advertise to create a market, i would rather pay a token 5% on my sales at netfleet and have them advertise , but i have said this before i guess. I have about 25 aussie names and that will do me , i think developing is more the way to go at the moment

DavidL

Top Contributor
It's a premium service in which they make premium money when the domain sells.

A refundable bond type deal could be the way to go to prevent fraudulant bidders etc.
Even a downscaling membership with the more you spend the more of membership gets refunded.

Not so much this type of thing exactly, but I'm with Spacey when he says the .au is an expensive playground. Especially given it's infancy.

Yeah I do understand where you are coming from I really do. I'd probably feel the same as a client. We do charge the fee to keep the auction for the serious buyers but I'll freely admit it's to generate some revenue for us too.

We've run Netfleet for nearly 2 years without charging a cent in sales commission. Myself and Mark have sunk $10's of thousands of our own money and hundreds of unpaid hours into the venture with negligible return.

Not to say we aren't doing it with an eye on a return in the future but we do need to look seriously into generating some revenue sooner rather than later if we want to continue developing & marketing the site. Cashflow is essential.

Your suggestion of a reduced fee in return for activity is a good idea though & maybe something we can look into. Thanks for the suggestion.

The other thing to bear in mind is that's it's hardly prohibitive. $110 annual fee is only around 30c per day... not bad when in a single bid you can secure a name literally hundreds below market value.

Just my 2 cents + gst + membership fees + transfer fees

LOL !!

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
From what I'd think, having it as a paid service will generally keep only the serious customers there-- preventing false bids, random accounts driving up prices, etc. For the reasonably small cost to participate, it's not much of an ask to pay.

I disagree.

It will favor who has more money and for many this cost may be peanuts but I insist, "paying to try", is already bad enough, but here we are asked to "pay just to look"...and I did create a large online community in the year 2000 so I exactly know how much work and unpaid hours requires but that`s just normal, no one is going to get a business from scratch without hard work or without paying others to do it.

I am very happy to see Netfleet and Drop in this market and welcome any other, but I agree with Stacey...not only we deal with transfer fees and registration costs higher than other extensions, but this upfront fees to be part of a website that will already profit from domain sales and auction is too much.

If the only purpose would be to limit shill bidding, then solution is as easy ad water: use ID or Medicare to have 1 account.

That way, shill bidding is not going to happen...."maybe"... (because friends and relatives can still help).

If instead the main reason is profit, I tell you what: I`m HAPPY to pay the fees if you ADD them to the domain I want, once I win it....that way, you get what you ask and I am sure that I don`t pay for nothing.

Shaun

Top Contributor
I have to disagree Italian Dragon...

You used a fancy restaurant example.

A fancy restaurant, one in Melbourne and Sydney, you're right, you can enter for no cost, but to get a booking and actually eat there can take several weeks, I ask, if you REALLY wanted to eat there to enjoy the exceptional fancy food, would you pay a fee to be able to book and EAT on the same night as opposed to having to wait several weeks?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo