What's new

Domain Sales & Privacy

neddy

Top Contributor
There was a discussion on a sales thread regarding why some people don't list domain names for sale publicly.

The member's sales thread got inadvertently sidetracked, so I thought this would be a good topic for a separate thread.

The other issue is why some people don't list some sales results.

So I'll kick the discussion off.

• Some people are just very private, and prefer to do their business under the radar.

• On occasions where I have sold a domain for a good price (either for myself or others), I love to announce it wherever possible. Why? Because it promotes our market; and it promotes me. But sometimes sellers (or buyers) don't want the domain or the price mentioned for their own reasons. And I have to respect that.

• Some people want to sell their domains, but don't want "everyone" out there knowing their business. They prefer to have the domains put in front of qualified buyers in a private manner. The same thing happens with real estate - a lot of sales are done on the quiet.

As I said, I've kicked it off. What do you think?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Well as you know I think from the sellers POV they are doing themselves an injustice. It's a fact that more eyeballs = greater chance of success.

Think of the extremes - sell your domain under the radar by just inviting a handful of buyers to express interest will not yield as strong a result as a 30 sec ad on primetime TV.

Obviously the latter is not feasible but there's plenty of room in between these two extremes such as posting the domains in question on a forum or listing them in a marketplace.

I don't think (although not checked recently) the other major domain forums (DNF, NP, Acorn etc) tolerate for sale threads without specifying the domain in question. Most even insist that the domain is mentioned in the title of the thread to increase exposure even more (consideration for DNT?).

I'd be interested especially what Andrew thinks - he seemed to get on the defensive when Smee and myself asked him what his motivation for such privacy was in that sales thread for some reason.

I'd also like to know why exactly he did get upset and resort to personal name calling - a reasonable (IMO) question seemed to touch raw nerve. I was only trying to get a handle on something I don't understand...

So Andrew, care to answer the question directly? (if you don't or can't, that's fine, don't stress!)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
my two cents is that there should be a new section ...........private lists

Anything else just pollutes the sales thread

as mentioned ...........my humble opinion

Shane

Top Contributor
If I am selling a single domain or small group I'm always happy to disclose the name/s in the thread, but if I was selling my whole portfolio or a group of 50+ domains I'd definitely be a little more discreet.

I don't really have a rationale for that which I can put into words, but I just wouldn't be comfortable in publishing a large list of my domains. So yeah, I can see why some people don't wish to put big lists out there.

Ash

Top Contributor
Horses for courses.

I respect that some people like to list their domains privately just as I respect some prefer to list them publicly.

I try not to comment in sales threads although I'll admit it can be an easy mistake to make when you arrive via the 'new posts' menu link; depending on the wording of the post, some for sale threads can sound like domain appraisals which can lead to voicing your opinion on a domain.

Perhaps we could have some kind of visual cue to signal it's a sales thread for those arriving via 'new posts' as opposed to the deliberate action of going to 'marketplace > domains'?

DavidL

Top Contributor
It would be great to see a section where domains for sale are listed in the subject. Then a potential buyer can just skim through dozens of different domains on the one screen.

Eg like http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/premium-domain-names.html but personally I don't like the _co_uk subheaders. Would be better to see the domain name in full (or in format domain [dot] com [dot] au) on each subject line.

chris

Top Contributor
How about we create a new section as Spacey suggests called Private Lists, then encourage all threads in the Marketplace to include the domain?

Like Ash says, horses for courses. Best to try and cater for both situations. If it doesn't work we can scrap it.

Thanks for kicking this topic off Ned! :)

smee

Top Contributor
I think any secrecy is taken as potentially "what are they hiding" by any potential new visitors to this website. Good luck with trying to convince anyone otherwise.

smee

Top Contributor
What about you smee - what are you hiding? You didn't give much away in your intro post :D

Very funny - I also thought it was ironic before I posted, however your comment is off topic. But thanks for trying to look into my background.

Anyone ever divulged a little too much info only to have a domain snapped up before they could get it? Hmmm :)

findtim

Top Contributor
re: andrews choice not to display domain names, he said "no tyre kickers" in his post, i emailed him with a SHORT list of business sectors, he got straight back to me with a list, i asked for a price on a domain, he got straight back to me with a price, and that was that.

my opinion was I didn't want to waste his time thus the short list, he doesn't have time to sort through everyone and spend hours on non deals.

as far as i'm concerned he is looking after the domains so its HIS BALL PARK and he sets the rules.

as for all the other posts i chose to skim past them.

tim

Honan

Top Contributor
I beieve the main reason for not listing the name of a domain for sale is so buyers will not know that the name did NOT sell.
When the domain is offered for sale again, it will not have a history of being unable to be sold

findtim

Top Contributor
I think any secrecy is taken as potentially "what are they hiding" by any potential new visitors to this website. Good luck with trying to convince anyone otherwise.

glass half full...... , having areas like that can be an attraction and a prompt to be more involved.

ever been to the tattersals club in brisbane? great bar area but upstairs are all these little rooms you only get invited to

tim

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
I beieve the main reason for not listing the name of a domain for sale is so buyers will not know that the name did NOT sell.
When the domain is offered for sale again, it will not have a history of being unable to be sold

Ahh that's a good one esp if you put a price on it in the sales thread

dave

re: andrews choice not to display domain names, he said "no tyre kickers" in his post, i emailed him with a SHORT list of business sectors, he got straight back to me with a list, i asked for a price on a domain, he got straight back to me with a price, and that was that.

I sent him a PM yesterday and haven't heard anything back. Maybe I'm not a heavy hitter like you mate! :p

smee

Top Contributor

my opinion was I didn't want to waste his time thus the short list, he doesn't have time to sort through everyone and spend hours on non deals.

as far as i'm concerned he is looking after the domains so its HIS BALL PARK and he sets the rules.

as for all the other posts i chose to skim past them.

tim

I bolded a sentence that I find interesting. If he listed all the domains publicly he wouldn't have to spend hours making short lists.

I agree it's his call as to how he spends his time and marketing.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
is the listing still cached by google even after we delete it ?

Because if not then just delete the post after it has ran it's course , sale or no sale

If the content of the post is deleted/replaced all is good ......isn't it ?

findtim

Top Contributor
I bolded a sentence that I find interesting. If he listed all the domains publicly he wouldn't have to spend hours making short lists.

I agree it's his call as to how he spends his time and marketing.

well i just gave him keywords and i guess he did a sort search from an excel doc and set it to me, thats what i would have done.

as you said " how he spends his time and marketing" is exactly right , its his decision.

i don't know what the fuss is about?

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads