What's new

Domain Monetization

neddy

Top Contributor
This is a guest article by Erhan Karabardak of Cooper Mills Lawyers.

Please feel free to leave some comments.
------------------------------------------------------------

Domain Monetization and Regulation

Domain monetization often means different things to different people. The definition has evolved over time with the development of different business models. Members of the domain name industry consider monetisation to include numerous business models used to get a return from an investment, this could be affiliate advertising such as Amazon and Ebay, an ecommerce website, or simple parked pages.

auDA regulates domain monetization via the Domain Monetisation Policy (2008-10) (‘the Policy’). The Policy states that its purpose is to ensure that ‘domain monetisation is not used as a cover for cyber squatting or other misleading or fraudulent activity’. The Policy does not explain how it attempts to achieve this.

While people often complain about the Policy, the question needs to be asked, what is it that makes this Policy bad ?

Here are some of the reasons why the Policy is bad:

1. Apart from a brief unexplained policy basis, the Policy does not clearly articulate a reason for being, and a harm from which it seeks to ‘protect the world’;

2. There is inconsistency between this Policy and the Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs (2008-05). The eligibility policy contemplates use of domain names for commercial purposes on the one hand (that is at the core of eligibility), yet on the other, the Domain Monetisation Policy (2008-10) prevents use of domain names for many commercial uses;

3. It effectively implements content regulation and censorship;

4. It restricts modern online business models;

At the core of complaints against the Domain Monetisation Policy (2008-10) are the restrictions in clause 4.3(a) and 4.3(b).

These read as follows:

4.3 In addition to their obligations under auDA Published Policies and the Registrant Agreement (domain name licence), domainers must comply with the following conditions of use:

a) the content on a monetised website must be related specifically and predominantly to the domain name; and

b) the domain name must not be, or incorporate, an entity name, personal name or brand name in existence at the time the domain name was registered.

These restrictions pose practical problems, here are some examples:

1. Mr G registered rubbishremovals.com.au today, and then places advertisements for rubbish removal service providers – while he would comply with clause 4.3(a) he would be in contravention of clause 4.3(b) as it incorporates, ‘an entity name, personal name or brand name in existence at the time the domain name was registered’. A search of the ASIC database indicates that there are 4 businesses / companies that were already in existence at the time the domain was registered. What makes this worse is that some of the businesses / companies are no longer in business, yet Mr G is in contravention of clause 4.3(b)

2. Miss A, a small business operator registers a domain name under the close and substantial connection rule to sell handbags on handbags.com.au, and then decides to place an advertisement for shoes and clothing on her website. By placing these advertisements (for example, for an affiliate), Miss A would be in breach of the Monetisation Policy, as ‘shoes’ and ‘clothing’ are not related specifically and predominantly to the domain name as required by clause 4.3(a);

It is evident that Domain Monetisation Policy (2008-10), while failing to prevent ‘cyber squatting or other misleading or fraudulent activity’, effectively prevents the use of domain names for many legitimate and lawful commercial purposes.

It pays to carefully consider how you use your domain names.

nina

Top Contributor
How do our laws compare to other countries? I often wonder if we're the most over governed country, considering I heard on the news tonight they want to reduce traffic speeds in Melbourne and areas to 30kph.

Interesting reading and nice clarification of the sub clauses.
thanks
Nina

if you want to compare countries, two comparisons you could make are with Communist China and Iran, neither of these countries impose the same restrictions on monetisation as we have in Australia!

To be fair, these countries do have other restrictions on the use of domain names that we don't have here, but it is amazing that auDA still insist on retaining this oppressive policy when China and Iran don't!

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
if you want to compare countries, two comparisons you could make are with Communist China and Iran, neither of these countries impose the same restrictions on monetisation as we have in Australia!

To be fair, these countries do have other restrictions on the use of domain names that we don't have here, but it is amazing that auDA still insist on retaining this oppressive policy when China and Iran don't!

:(

DavidL

Top Contributor
It's because the people who make the decisions have no understanding (or sympathy perhaps) of the problems legitimate website operators face through this discrimination.

Eg in the last few months:

I lost Burt.com.au because it could be considered a personal name. Guess who made the complaint and picked it up - a guy by the name of Ben Burt

I lost SydneyMagician.net.au because the majority of the links did not relate speciaifcally to 'sydney magician'. The guy who picked it up a magician in Sydney

It's my strong belief that this policy is very rarely used for the 'greater good' of the .au namespace but generally abused by complainants seeking a shortcut to reverse hijack a name they covet.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
I lost SydneyMagician.net.au because the majority of the links did not relate speciaifcally to 'sydney magician'. The guy who picked it up a magician in Sydney.

Interestingly enough in fabulous.com it’s relatively easy to ensure that your parked domains comply with policy by selecting a two click landing page option, and specifying the related searches . For example Sydneymagician.com.au could be set up with the following links –

• Sydney magician
  • Sydney magic tricks
  • Magician party Sydney
  • Sydney Magician for hire ...etc

You are really only limited by your imagination.

You can also (provided your domain has been registered for six months) include a domain for sale banner (with make offer, offers above and asking price options) that sends enquiries to your email address. Over 90% of our .au sales leads come through this channel.

If anyone is interested in opening a Fabulous.com monetization account for their au portfolio email me at a.wright (at) fabulous.com.

Cheers,

Andrew

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Interestingly enough in fabulous.com it’s relatively easy to ensure that your parked domains comply with policy by selecting a two click landing page option, and specifying the related searches . For example Sydneymagician.com.au could be set up with the following links –

• Sydney magician
  • Sydney magic tricks
  • Magician party Sydney
  • Sydney Magician for hire ...etc

You are really only limited by your imagination.

You can also (provided your domain has been registered for six months) include a domain for sale banner (with make offer, offers above and asking price options) that sends enquiries to your email address. Over 90% of our .au sales leads come through this channel.

If anyone is interested in opening a Fabulous.com monetization account for their au portfolio email me at a.wright (at) fabulous.com.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I wrote a question related to this, a couple of days ago.

I have been extremely reluctant to add 'for sale' links/banners to my .com.au domains as I really am concerned about AUDA's point of view.

Now that you mention the monetization links as well, I'd like to know if any Fabulous client has lost any domain so far, while using your parking options, either for the ads or for the 'for sale' banners.

Thank you

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
As long as your domain has been registered for six months you are perfectly entitled to place a domain for sale banner on the landing page. However you should remember that domains caught in the drop are technically new registrations - I've seen a few recently caught domains being advertised for sale which is currently a no-no.

To the best of my knowledge no Fabulous.com client has lost a domain due to link relevancy or a for sale banner. Domains in the Domain Active portfolio have been "pinged" a few times for non relevant links, but if you fix them up and let auDA know it's usually not a problem.

Andrew

neddy

Top Contributor

I've been with Fabulous for 15 months, and as you can probably tell from my previous posts, I'm a big fan.

I've used WhyPark and Sedo in the past, and Fabulous is superior in many regards (imo). You have the ability to tweak settings, keywords, images etc.

Plus you can call the guys in Brisbane, and they will walk you through setting things up and will also give you some good tips.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member