What's new

Does Auto Renew Work Yet?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I don't know if I have done something wrong, but I had auto renew set to enabled but it hasn't seemed to have renewed these two domains...

These were the first two domains I tried auto renew with.

:confused:

Mick

Top Contributor
auDA policy says you can't auto renew .au domains, unless its recently changed?

We got slapped around for mentioning it a while ago.

DavidL

Top Contributor

We got slapped around for mentioning it a while ago.

Yeah I thought that actually...

What do you mean 'slapped around'... by auDA?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
That's weird... I know more than one registrar that offer the autorenew and to be honest I think it's a great feature to have and helps protect individual/businesses from forgetting to renew their domains...

Mick

Top Contributor
What do you mean 'slapped around'... by auDA?

We argued it doesn't specify state it isn't possible, went back and forth and in the end removed it to keep the peace.. :)

Registrars are suppose to check the registrant is still valid before renewal, which is why auto renew can't work for .au domains.

johno69

Top Contributor
You could argue that you have a check process in place that notifies you 1 week out. At that time you do the needed check, and if criteria is not met you disable the renewal.

It would still be a security feature for the client but meet your requirements at the same time.

findtim

Top Contributor
crazyD have a tick box everytime you hand reg a name so that suggests they are going to renew it if you don't touch it for the next 2 years.

tim

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Registrars are suppose to check the registrant is still valid before renewal, which is why auto renew can't work for .au domains.
Yes, well if AUDA continued their trend of removing the red tape around registering a .com.au this issue would also become a non-issue over time...

:cool:

Mark

Top Contributor

Auto renew is fine - there is no auDA policy against auto renewal.

Should get an answer today about this feature not working on NF...

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I don't know if I have done something wrong, but I had auto renew set to enabled but it hasn't seemed to have renewed these two domains...

These were the first two domains I tried auto renew with.

:confused:
Chris,

It looks like you turned on auto renew too late (6/9/2012). Our auto renew is set to run 14 days out from expiry at which point it produces an invoice. This would have happened on 30/8/2012 if auto renew had been enabled at that point.

As with most WHMCS features they run on exact dates, as a result if it is not enabled on that exact day then you miss the boat PLUS they fail to warn you when enabling a service that this will occur, so a double fail in my books. I will add an extra safeguard to detect items in this state and deal with them appropriately.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Yes they would have only been activated close to expiry as I had only just transferred the domains to your platform.

Thanks for your assistance.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Yes they would have only been activated close to expiry as I had only just transferred the domains to your platform.

Thanks for your assistance.
Chris,

It turns out I was wrong and there is theoretically nothing wrong with turning it on in the final 14 days before expiry, the issue was a little bit deeper in the database to do with payment methods not being set correctly. This has now been rectified and invoices will be automatically produced in the future.

I have setup a series of tests to prove the theory above over the next few days and I will report back once I am 100% sure there are no more issues.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members