What's new

Do You Bother

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Well after the terrific response to the buddypress question , i thought i would try another question
~
I have been getting many hacking attempts lately and each time once aware i go to my hosting and add the Ip to the deny list
~
I was wondering if everyone does this, or it just a case of they will find another way if they really want to (proxy)
~
Interested to read your views

Joel

Top Contributor
Most shared hosting will have a software based firewall that can automatically block or rate limit IP addresses based on failed login attempts. WordPress I'm sure has a plugin that can do the same thing.
In my experience, this type of thing is not something you want to do manually.

johno69

Top Contributor
I don't do it manually either, delete one IP they attack from another.
I've been using Wordfence for a long time and am now using Sucuri for WP also, it has some great hardening options in there.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I use wordpress firewall 2 and acrunetix secure wordpress alongside with a captcha login pawword plugin, so far so good. I was just wondering if people go to the trouble of banning the offending Ip's ..... may not be worth the bother?

findtim

Top Contributor
banning the ip's i find is a waste of time as they just change every 16 seconds !!!!!
wordfence PAID allows you to block countries which does help
wordfence FREE, i set everything to very LOW in options, only give them 2 attempts then block them for a day, ..... it pisses my clients off as they forget their passwords but i just say " HEY, how hard is it to write the bloody thing down" ? in the shop, and it has worked as every time they ask me to reset it i send an invoice so they soon learn.
what i have found is WHICH has reduced my wordfence "time" is of course using wp-admin usernames that nobody would EVER think of, so you have site www.gold.com.au then the wp-admin user name is " kangaroo"
nobody is gonna guess that ! even better " kangar00"
then monitor your wordfence and you can put in what names will be instantly blocked eg: admin,gold ........ etc
this reduces your attacks massively.......... well , it doesn't but at least you don't have to deal with them.
i'm still learning and much more knowledgeable people on here about this stuff so this is pure laymans advice.

tim

James

Top Contributor
You can block website visitors from known problem regions like Russia/ Turkey/ Where ever else. With this GEO IP block that can reduce problems.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I was just wondering if people are like me and go through the procedure, it seems most don't bother so i don't think i will either .......thanks for replies

findtim

Top Contributor
spacey i think you have to !
get yourself a system of doing things for each website and write it done,,,,,, do this, then this, then this...........
half the problem is remembering what you did last time.
set a standard.
i'm also guilty of not doing it but am trying to get it all sorted.
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member