What's new

Direct registration; stakeholder qualitative interviews

Scott7

Top Contributor
Information from the auDA 'Happy New Year from the CEO' blog post, that some DNTrade members may have missed:

Direct registration; stakeholder qualitative interviews
In the coming weeks, we will be announcing other ways members and all stakeholders can contribute to the policy development.

There will be opportunities to participate in direct registration research that will feed into policy development. If you’d like to take part, please email media@auda.org.au to register. Interviews will take place in March and April this year either face to face or over the phone.

Once this research is complete, the report will be made available to the public.

We aim to have policy for direct registration agreed and ready for implementation planning by the beginning of the new financial year.
Source

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
You can bet your bottom dollar that all the demand members who work for supply side members have signed up.

This is the sort of stuff that directors can promote and discuss without breaching NDA's!

Do yourself a favour and sign up otherwise you could find yourself bidding against the .net.au owners.

I wonder if this has been delayed to see if foreign private capital investors can own aUSregistry?

Christopher

Top Contributor
By ABN, do you mean business name rather than business number?
Oh, um, I have business number but I mean business name. I just wanted to know that If I didn't own across the *.au's whether someone could bid me out if I missed the .au registration, even if I had the .com.au

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Actually going back a step The Federal Government WILL BE doing some research into auDA, auDA past and present Board members, suppliers, vote rigging, survey rigging, auDA Foundation, membership rigging ( supply related people and companies also singing up as demand members is the latest issue), the actually poor results of the UK and NZ, False and misleading information pout by some in supply, Foreign ownership of wholesale registry provider, Australian Critical Infrastructure, Wholesale domain prices, auDA finances including the $12 million they have in the bank from profits, wholesale registry contract etc.

The Deloitte "consultation" is a "scam" imo. I met with them in person for 2 hours and I know the facts iof what their "brief" is. Considering they said the additional .au extension was not needed PLUS THEY SAID WHOLESALE PRICES COULD BE LOWER IT SEEMS, they also see conflicts of interest etc it is strange auDA is still neglecting their duties to members, the government and the existing 1.8 million Australian domain name consumers.

The current proposed implementation is apparently 2 years reservation for existing .com.au holders plus 1st year FREE. But now the Federal Government is more involved this may change over the next few months if it is even going ahead. auDA itself ( and others) will now be more fully investigated shortly from what I have heard. The Government has admitted there has been a "lack of proper oversight" for too long. They seem to have confidence in the new CEO but they are aware of many issues now they did not know of before.

I would not be surprised to see something happen about auDA's questionable decision to not go to open tender for that very profitable wholesale registry monopoly worth over $150 million again and that is is owned by a 100% foreign owned company now with possible risks to Australian Critical Infrastructure and the issue Australian business is left out of the tender opportunity to even bid. This is against Government policies so I hear they are looking at what their role may be to oversee this more properly or if in fact they will refer it to another government department for more detailed investigation.

I would not be wasting money on .net.au's to try and secure the proposed competing .au extension against an existing .com.au owners ( or yourself if you have the .com.au already). People who sell domains may want you to do it for their own benefits and profits but that is not what has been proposed or even submitted to Government as an option from what I have been told.

Don't forget auDA made millions selling the generic .com.au names years ago and a lot of people have significant rights and investments in their existing .com.au name. People could have a legal case if auDA or the board do things the wrong way. No other country actually auctioned their generics like auDA did and the co.uk and .co.nz have always been open for anyone in the world to register.

Strange how for so many years auDA seemed to have significant issues including finances etc and no one did anything.. now the new CEO said they are fixing the many auDA issues?

I have doubts about people on the auDA board who stand to make a commercial and financial gain by policies and decisions.I would not trust any material, tweets, press releases or magazines they write in or publish. It seems many other people share those doubts but with the current auDA set up auDA is merely a puppet for some parties and it always has been...until things are changed probably by an outsider, investigator or relevant Government Department with powers to act.

If you share serious concerns do not think this is over. There are people looking into auDA and the issues. This includes the Wholesale registry tender, auDA Foundation, Board Memberships / surveys/ voting and process and the proposed additional .au extension to name a few of the areas of focus.

The .uk and .nz have failed so why is the competing .au still being pushed? There is no demand. In fact there are still millions of .com.au and ./net.au names available now in the aftermarket or for hand registration today!

With 3000 global extensions available now it is laughable people in "supply" say we need another one for Australia. This is a massive scam and shame on those on the auDA board ( and related entities) who have pushed for it for their own possible financial gain.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Would you say @Bacon Farmer that I should protect my brand by also getting the .net.au even though I've got the ABN to go with the name?

I would focus on your .com and .com.au which you have. Think globally with the .com It is worth the most. People overseas will not even know what .au is if you also have global customers and want to target global. Mostly only Australians will know the .com.au. Others overseas will not.

Christopher

Top Contributor
I would focus on your .com and .com.au which you have. Think globally with the .com It is worth the most. People overseas will not even know what .au is if you also have global customers and want to target global. Mostly only Australians will know the .com.au. Others overseas will not.
Sorry I realise I partially stole your thread.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo