What's new

Developed Website - included?

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Hello,

I've recently sold a domain via NetFleet which has a website sitting on it. While I view the sale as domain only (as per the listing title), I'm wondering if others would expect the developed website to come with it?

Also, the seller is disadvantaged in the current sale process, having no idea of who the 'bidder' is. The bidder on the other hand has whois info, web history data and chat from forums such as this. I probably just dropped a few grand due to this disadvantage.

Not slagging the system which is great, but perhaps it can be even better.

Troy

CyberClick

Top Contributor

The seller may set the final price but after the sale the seller can be satisfied, happy, very happy or really really happy. The buyer has a wealth of information available to understand who the buyer is, what they do, what there plans are; they can probably even look up their house on Google maps and see what car they drive.

The same as a normal real estate negotiation. The agent should never disclose information such as why the vendor is selling, etc because it can lessen the price.

On NetFleet, they seller has nothing. As the seller, if you knew the buyer had been picking up similar domains and the dollars they typically spend then you may hold out for a higher final price.

Consider the domains you've sold previously and if you would have held out for a higher price if you knew the buyer was Donald Trump and he wanted the domain badly.

johno69

Top Contributor
It reminds me of when my mate sold blogger to google. If only he knew hey..

But I like to keep it simple.

Set your price, sell for that or don't sell.

Same with bidding on the drops. Put my highest bid, if I lose I don't care if its by $1 or $1000.

No need to over complicate things.

We'll just end up with brokers anyway so you'll never truly know.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The seller may set the final price but after the sale the seller can be satisfied, happy, very happy or really really happy. The buyer has a wealth of information available to understand who the buyer is, what they do, what there plans are; they can probably even look up their house on Google maps and see what car they drive.

The same as a normal real estate negotiation. The agent should never disclose information such as why the vendor is selling, etc because it can lessen the price.

On NetFleet, they seller has nothing. As the seller, if you knew the buyer had been picking up similar domains and the dollars they typically spend then you may hold out for a higher final price.

Consider the domains you've sold previously and if you would have held out for a higher price if you knew the buyer was Donald Trump and he wanted the domain badly.

Same is true for realestate negotiations. The buyer could claim to be anyone, could hire an buyers agent so they act anonymously, or could bid auction without the seller or agent knowing anything about them.

Really the seller holds a a lot of power because they know the asset better than the buyer. I wouldn't call it an uneven playing field at all. Personally think it is a good thing that domain sale sites don't disclose much about buyers, because it shouldn't effect how something is priced & it probably gives buyers comfort that they'd aren't being given a price based on who they are.

As the seller, if you knew the buyer had been picking up similar domains and the dollars they typically spend then you may hold out for a higher final price.

Buyers aren't silly. They'll just use even more gmail accounts and fake aliases if that information could be found out by the seller.

I recently had someone buy a name (around 20k) finishing emails by offering hugs, pretending to be a female & signing emails with "her" supposed kids names, and all sorts of other crap. Turned out it was a very known buyer of this type of domain. At the end of the day people will go to whatever extreme lengths they think is necessary to look poor. Price the name and be happy with it.

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree with johno69 and snoopy, its a tough gig but live with it.

i've been pissed off all day because i missed a deal this week but in the end stuff it, move on, the bottom line here is state your price and live with it or it will eat you away.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Hello,

I've recently sold a domain via NetFleet which has a website sitting on it. While I view the sale as domain only (as per the listing title), I'm wondering if others would expect the developed website to come with it?

well its just what you state as your terms of sale, be clear at the start , be VERY CLEAR, a developed website could add value, i certainly think it does as thats exactly one of my businesses "walk in , walk out" , thats how traditional shop businesses sell and i can not see why websites can't do the same, just look at flippa/sedo/etc sites for sale, its ALL about current and progressive revenue ( lets not go down the fake stats path )

i just recently bought a domain and then i asked to have the website as well and they said no, i bought it on the basis i was buying the domain only but i thought it was worth an ask to say " hey give me the code as well" , no problem for me as i can recreate it myself but for someone else sellling a domain that also is a functional website could make the deal and also bring more money to the domain seller

bottom line, when buying or selling, know the terms and what you are getting or giving, basic stuff really.

dealing now with a lot over other countries and language is a barrier i have been more and more aware of being able to ask the same question over and over again until its right in my mind and theres.

learning every day :)

tim

CyberClick

Top Contributor
I guess another way of looking at it is comparing the buys/sales made through NetFleet against the more open market of DNTrade. I'd be interested to see how a stock sale list would go on DnTrade or a more open user community on NetFleet.

Personally, I've been very happy with deals negotiated between DNTrade members.

DavidL

Top Contributor
No sense why it has to be either or is it? Why not list on NF so the 'shy' buyers can still express interest and post on Dntrade as well?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member