What's new

Demise of Harvey Norman

findtim

Top Contributor
He obviously doesn't like Gerry !

When my mum and dad had to go and buy a complete household of goods after the brisbane flood took them down river you would have thought it was a sellers market but it wasn't.

The retailers, not just harvey norman were giving amazing discounts, tough times.

Just don't forget the overall impact of this, it means peoples jobs, more unemployment, and less money going around and then it becomes a negative spiral that hurts everyone. I don't see any joy coming from this.

I don't see it boosting domain name sale prices because you need "consumers to consume" and if there is no money in their pockets how can they do that?

I bought an Ipad accessory a while back, i bought it from a .com.au and it was delivered direct from hong kong, nothing wrong with that, very smart really but thats a job gone for an aussie.

I outsource to overseas for programming, more jobs gone, we ARE NOT going to stop this but if businesses don't keep up and see whats coming then everyone will pay the price.

I outsourced a website design to an aussie in sydney last week only to find out his malaysian guy was doing it ! LOL, you try and still can't win !

tim

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just don't forget the overall impact of this, it means peoples jobs, more unemployment, and less money going around and then it becomes a negative spiral that hurts everyone. I don't see any joy coming from this.

What do you mean by "more unemployment"? The unemployment rate is 5.2% which is almost full employment.

A lot of these retailers are dying because they are full of dead weight and inefficiency. There is no value in someone standing at a cashier when the customer can buy online, there is no value in a salesman telling you the specs of a tv and changing a $500 premium when a webpage can do that at no cost. These jobs do need to go, they need to go to other areas of the economy.

Keep the Gerry Harveys of this world alive and we'll be all living in the dark ages in a couple of decades. There will be a massive "basket case" economy, something akin to the car industry of today or the clothing industry of 30 years ago, where keeping outdated jobs at any cost is more important than common sense.

Get rid of the jobs that can be automated, outsource the basic jobs that can be sent to India, keep the jobs where something of real value is added.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree but as always you miss my point

you contradicted yourself, by saying there wouldn't be unemployment and then saying these jobs should go !

"keep the jobs where something of real value is added"

i said "businesses don't keep up" , exactly that, new business models need to be created.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
i agree but as always you miss my point

you contradicted yourself, by saying there wouldn't be unemployment and then saying these jobs should go !

"keep the jobs where something of real value is added"

i said "businesses don't keep up" , exactly that, new business models need to be created.

tim

More retailers going bust will do nothing to unemployment, those jobs will go to other areas of the economy. You can see from the unemployment rate the importance of the job losses to date.

Getting rid of all these jobs is good thing for the economy, having a person do what a machine could do is a dead weight on the economy. The "joy" from all this is people having more for less money, that is the ultimate benefit from those job losses.

findtim

Top Contributor
i wouldn't buy a car without driving it first, i remember i hired a car in tassie and by the end of the week i knew it was a car i'd never buy.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Do we get to know who uses the handle "Admin" these days?

Sorry mate - that was me by mistake. I logged in under "Admin" in order to change title. Old habits die hard.

"Admin" is retired - and "Neddy" is almost retired as well. Chris will be making announcements shortly about new moderator/s etc.

Sorry for confusion.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members