What's new

Definition of Cybersquatting

chris

Top Contributor
It's one of those terms that gets misused all the time, the same as hacker, activist, spammer etc.

As Jay suggested in another thread, I thought it might be worth it's own discussion.

From Wikipedia:

Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else. The cybersquatter then offers to sell the domain to the person or company who owns a trademark contained within the name at an inflated price.

Cheers,
Chris

goldnugget

Top Contributor
If they aren't infringing on a trademark end of story.

True, could probably sticky and lock this just to remind visitors/new members its true definition before using it or making accusations.

.....and adding that if you registered domain prior to a trademark that its not infringing on that trademark (seek legals to confirm in each individual case).

findtim

Top Contributor
i don't think it would be wise for DNT to put something in place that suggests they are the authority, simply because as stated every case is different.

a thread that had relevant links would be great but also given the debacle of a website the call "asic " those links could become out of date quickly.

tim

The Australian legal definition is basically along the lines of what Chris has said. There are a number of Federal Court cases that actually address this issue, when I get a chance I will do a post with more information. While there are Cybersquatters in Australia, they are few and far between.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member