What's new

Deals.com.au sells for $100k

WG2010

Archived Member
That's awesome! Must be a very exciting time for those involved in the groupon type sites.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
They really seem to be investing in domains. Noticed they purchased dealsking.com.au aswell.

Great investment for Zoupon, excellent branding potential. Exact match search for Deals doesn't seem that significant.

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
probably more for branding, deals.com.au is very strong..

But with all the complaining to google some SEO's have been doing the power of EMD may only last for a short time.

Oz.

Top Contributor
Seem to have also purchased Deal.com.au from OMG:
Domain Name: deal.com.au
Last Modified: 12-Jan-2011 05:55:52 UTC
Registrant: ZOUPON PTY LTD
Name Server: ns1.boomerang.com.au

Timmy

Banned
But they went with the name 'Star Deals' in Australia.

IMO StarDeals.com.au = FAIL but with the amount of money they have to throw around they could pretty well run with www.GetADealADayInYourCity.com.au and still make a tonne of cash.

James

Top Contributor
That's just a temporary name until they sort out their issues with Scoopon. It's just a matter of time until they revert back to Groupon.

Exactly...

why would they spend a few hundred thousand buying a generic term when they spend so much on brand.

Timmy

Banned
I met with them a month ago and they thought it would be resolved within a matter of days. It's not yet, and I doubt whether the Scoopon boys are exactly quaking in their boots.

I know that would be the obvious plan, just saying it's not exactly in their control at the moment so it's anyone's guess really. If or when it's resolved sure they'll revert to Groupon.com.au. My personal opinion is that the Groupon brand is American and as huge as it is, it doesn't mean it will resonate with Aussies.

Deals would have been a good acquisition for them. If it were me (and obviously I'm biased) I would be using terms suited to each country/language as part of my strategy.

djuqa

Top Contributor
What I wonder about is Groupon is a play on Group and Coupon. As Coupon is big in the USA it is a good fit.
However Australians tend to use the term Voucher more.

There maybe a better name for them is Grouchers. :D

On a serious note
Deals.com.au sounds way more brandable and professional.

Shane

Top Contributor
Getting off the subject a little, I think it's such a dog act what Scoopon have done. It's clear as day that they registered the name in bad faith.

I realise that Groupon dropped the ball by not registering a trademark for Australia and by not registering the domain first, and I know that some people will think that Scoopon have been very clever by doing this, but I just don't have the slightest respect for their business or their clearly dubious ethics.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo