What's new

Cybersquatters Get Rich New Territories With Generic Domains

DomainNames

Top Contributor
ICANN and sometimes the country registry groups are the biggest scammers. Just look at how they flood the world with new domain extensions all the time and scare companies / trademark owners etc into needing tp pay a fortune for " protective registration" in many countries

My advice ( for a global website) pay more & buy the .com if you can forget other extensions if you cant afford them

Look what happened to many extensions, the .asia extension is now offered FREE by some registrars! They cant even give it away!

I dont think the article properly addresses 3 key points here:

1. while they touch on it, no one knows what eligibility requirements each GTLD will have, they may be tight and might not be a free for all - in fact it is likely that some will be very tight;
2. New GTLDS typically have a sunrise period for trademark owners, so that they can secure their domains before anyone else;
3. The UDRP and URS are going to be part of the landscape for new GTLDs;

The problem for some trademark lawyers is that they have no idea about domain names, in fact many of the lawyers I deal with day to day have no idea about domains. Maybe they should inform themselves before jumping to conclusions.

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
There isn't anything wrong with the article at all.

While it may not explain all the options (sunrise, registry restrictions etc..) it does get to the heart of the issue.

I also happen to agree on both points:

1. it will be a "very confusing, expensive and time-consuming process for trademark owners".

2. "the scammers are practiced at moving fast. “They throw your brand name in the site, get a bunch of traffic, take in a bunch of money and shut it down".

At the end of the day, its a big gamble. We looked at it in detail and decided against participating.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member