What's new

CPA Australia Snaps CPA.com.au

chris

Top Contributor

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Thanks Chris. This certainly was a great result and $$'s are always awesome but I also want to take a moment to thank the industry which it took to produce this result.

Firstly I would like to thank at least two members who where involved in selflessly alerting the CPA to the fact that the domain was dropping and then assisting them in putting in a strong but fair bid. This activity on their part really impressed me as it was not for financial gain and it helps all of us moving forward with a positive news story to help grow the .au Aftermarket.

Secondly I would like to thank everyone who has kept their chin up about the value and resale value of .com.au domains in recent years because at the end of the day it is what end users (buyers) think which really matters.

Lastly I'd say that we really appreciate the people who stuck by drop, kept their names under management with us and generally kept buying a few domains per week to keep our system operational. We plan to keep providing a rock solid system for the next ten years as well as regaining our crown as both top drop catcher but also revitalising the Aftermarket again.

- Anthony

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Thanks Chris. This certainly was a great result and $$'s are always awesome but I also want to take a moment to thank the industry which it took to produce this result.

Firstly I would like to thank at least two members who where involved in selflessly alerting the CPA to the fact that the domain was dropping and then assisting them in putting in a strong but fair bid. This activity on their part really impressed me as it was not for financial gain and it helps all of us moving forward with a positive news story to help grow the .au Aftermarket.

Secondly I would like to thank everyone who has kept their chin up about the value and resale value of .com.au domains in recent years because at the end of the day it is what end users (buyers) think which really matters.

Lastly I'd say that we really appreciate the people who stuck by drop, kept their names under management with us and generally kept buying a few domains per week to keep our system operational. We plan to keep providing a rock solid system for the next ten years as well as regaining our crown as both top drop catcher but also revitalising the Aftermarket again.

- Anthony

A fantastic sale and investment asset for the buyer. Well done to all.

What systems are set up to ensure no issues are possible with Drop.com.au which some other platforms have experienced.

Do you think the system should enable the public viewing of other bidders and is there any process to verify underbidders after auction close due to the investment some bidders and buyers are making.

Does Drop or Netfleet etc hold an auctioneers license in any state of Australia or has this not been raised as being required before? https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/online-shopping/ebay-online-auctions

https://domainnamewire.com/2017/07/25/shills-bidding-scandals/
https://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/...ket-up-in-arms-over-netfleet-bidding-scandal/

Last edited:

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
You make me sad. You seem to have been hurt somehow and you are lashing out at everything you see around you. I hope that someday soon you get some closure around your issues with auDA. If you are at all interested in protecting your investment in .au I would be rethinking the volume of negative posts you are generating.
- Anthony

DomainNames

Top Contributor
You make me sad. You seem to have been hurt somehow and you are lashing out at everything you see around you. I hope that someday soon you get some closure around your issues with auDA. If you are at all interested in protecting your investment in .au I would be rethinking the volume of negative posts you are generating.
- Anthony

Anthony you took the post totally the wrong way...

I have given substantial support including financial investment to using drop.com.au over the years.

Please don't succumb to using the auDA line about negative posts. Without people posting there would be no aftermarket, No monetisation, No drop etc.

Since you had a dig I will some more questions for you to hopefully answer.
  1. Will the buyer of CPA.com.au who has invested a large sum of money be eligible for the proposed competing additional direct .au extension? Do they know about it the chance of CPA.au? How can they be assured they can get cpa.au if they wanted to or would they need to go into a lottery etc?
  2. What is the proposed cut off date from the auDA PRP now?
Asking questions is not negative it is important.. especially when millions of .au domain name registrant Consumers are making investments into the existing .au namespace domain name extensions.

As much as some people want the questions to stop... until they are answered they will keep being posted.

Some people don't care about what happens to existing ,au domain name Consumer registrant rights and their investments they gave made but I do. I hope you do to?

Last edited:

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Will they even qualify to go in the lottery for cpa.au?

Do they even know it's on the horizon?

Would they have paid that much if they did?

Does the owner of cpa.net.au think they've got a pay day coming?

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor

cpa.net au Papandreas Colin & Associates Accountants & Auditors

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Anthony you took the post totally the wrong way...

I have given substantial support including financial investment to using drop.com.au over the years.
Buying domains from us is not an investment it is called procurement.
Please don't succumb to using the auDA line about negative posts. Without people posting there would be no aftermarket, No monetisation, No drop etc.
In my opinion your continued negativity is undermining the reputation of other domain investors.
I also think that you are damaging the Aftermarket which I rely on so I am annoyed in my own capacity.
auDA are certainly not perfect and I am frustrated that they are making it too easy for you to throw rocks at them.
Since you had a dig I will some more questions for you to hopefully answer.
  1. Will the buyer of CPA.com.au who has invested a large sum of money be eligible for the proposed competing additional direct .au extension? Do they know about it the chance of CPA.au? How can they be assured they can get cpa.au if they wanted to or would they need to go into a lottery etc?
  2. What is the proposed cut off date from the auDA PRP now?
Asking questions is not negative it is important.. especially when millions of .au domain name registrant Consumers are making investments into the existing .au namespace domain name extensions.
1) The buyer of CPA is not investing anything. They are buying the rights to the domain cpa.com.au which they are very happy to have purchased.
2) I have no idea what the cut off date is. Quite frankly I am annoyed that auDA has stalled at all. I think your badgering them at every opportunity is not helping so when I try to ask politely about it they are reluctant to share anything.
As much as some people want the questions to stop... until they are answered they will keep being posted.
Rubbish, you are posting about things that have been answered. For example the lottery question has been answered yet you keep raising a point which I believe is now moot. It was literally only ever a discussion point by a panel which was disregarded months ago. This blind disregard for the ability of the "other side" to listen and adopt sensible changes leaves you punching at shadows which are no longer there.
Some people don't care about what happens to existing ,au domain name Consumer registrant rights and their investments they gave made but I do. I hope you do to?
A majority of people don't care about what is going on. Even people who used to care no longer care as it has descended into what looks like a petty mud slinging match. There are plenty of people with popcorn out watching for the pure amusement of it now.

What are your objectives at the moment and can you explain how harassing auDA online and dominating all the threads here are going to achieve that result?

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
There is no lottery.

No one even knows where the horizon is anymore.

Since the future is obscured until the fighting does down how on earth can anyone answer that.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't but in the meantime cpa.com.au looks a whole lot easier to type than cpaaustralia.com.au

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I'm sure they'll be happy until they realise that due to the cut off date, they won't qualify to even apply for CPA.au.

You are right nobody knows if they would be pissed off.

Hey CPAAustralia.com.au do you realise that auDA is bringing in direct registrations (like CPA.au)?

Hmmm CPA.au is shorter to type than CPA.com.au grrr and it's mildly confusing (joking, it is really confusing hey Mr ACCC <- another joke)

Do you (CPA Australia) realise you have purchased your domain after the likely cuff off date and won't be able to even throw your hat in the ring to get CPA.au?

Nah they won't be pissed. They'll probably just write it off <- accountant joke ;-)

DomainNames

Top Contributor

If they have a dispute of the cpa.au how much will it cost them? Will they need to get lawyers? Who could benefit from the conflict...any auDA Directors? Any PRP members or their asso?
Buying domains from us is not an investment it is called procurement.

In my opinion your continued negativity is undermining the reputation of other domain investors.
I also think that you are damaging the Aftermarket which I rely on so I am annoyed in my own capacity.
auDA are certainly not perfect and I am frustrated that they are making it too easy for you to throw rocks at them.

1) The buyer of CPA is not investing anything. They are buying the rights to the domain cpa.com.au which they are very happy to have purchased.
2) I have no idea what the cut off date is. Quite frankly I am annoyed that auDA has stalled at all. I think your badgering them at every opportunity is not helping so when I try to ask politely about it they are reluctant to share anything.

Rubbish, you are posting about things that have been answered. For example the lottery question has been answered yet you keep raising a point which I believe is now moot. It was literally only ever a discussion point by a panel which was disregarded months ago. This blind disregard for the ability of the "other side" to listen and adopt sensible changes leaves you punching at shadows which are no longer there.

A majority of people don't care about what is going on. Even people who used to care no longer care as it has descended into what looks like a petty mud slinging match. There are plenty of people with popcorn out watching for the pure amusement of it now.

What are your objectives at the moment and can you explain how harassing auDA online and dominating all the threads here are going to achieve that result?

Buying domains from Drop.com.au is not an investment? Drop said it was before!

https://www.drop.com.au/my_account/...ry-killer-domain-mothersdaycomau-auction.html
"
Acquiring key domains has developed into an important strategy for all online businesses, but it is not just about brand protection. Domains drive traffic, which then relates to sales for a company’s products or services. The domain ‘mothersday.com.au’ is the perfect web address for any online retailer looking to own this keyword category killer.

George Pongas, Business Development Manager at Drop.com.au commented, “Once you own ‘mothersday.com.au’, you basically own the direct navigation traffic it generates too. With approximately 18,100 Australian local searches for ‘Mother’s Day’ in March 2010 and a Cost Per Click (CPC) rate on Google circa $1.20, you can quickly see the business case for acquiring this domain name.”

Pongas continues, “After acquisition, the ongoing costs are just $49.95 every two years for the registration licence renewal. As a long-term investment it makes perfect sense for an e-tailer to add this domain to their portfolio."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
There is no lottery.

So you have just 100% guaranteed drop.com.au customers and domain name investors there is no lottery?

People can buy names from drop.com.au auctions and be assured they will be eligible if anther .au domain name extension comes in?

Have you got this in writing from auDA, an auDA Director, the PRP or are you just wanting to carry on as if the elephant in the room is not a major issue and until people who know the problem, who went to the PRP meetings, who have evidence from the PRP meetings, know what was claimed, said and suggested by the PRP are muted? Good luck with that. We ( your paying customers) will be here long after the current auDA Management and Board members are.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Buying domains from Drop.com.au is not an investment? Drop said it was before!

https://www.drop.com.au/my_account/...ry-killer-domain-mothersdaycomau-auction.html
"
Acquiring key domains has developed into an important strategy for all online businesses, but it is not just about brand protection. Domains drive traffic, which then relates to sales for a company’s products or services. The domain ‘mothersday.com.au’ is the perfect web address for any online retailer looking to own this keyword category killer.

George Pongas, Business Development Manager at Drop.com.au commented, “Once you own ‘mothersday.com.au’, you basically own the direct navigation traffic it generates too. With approximately 18,100 Australian local searches for ‘Mother’s Day’ in March 2010 and a Cost Per Click (CPC) rate on Google circa $1.20, you can quickly see the business case for acquiring this domain name.”

Pongas continues, “After acquisition, the ongoing costs are just $49.95 every two years for the registration licence renewal. As a long-term investment it makes perfect sense for an e-tailer to add this domain to their portfolio."
It is semantics, you seemed to be claiming to be investing in drop.com.au which is not true, you don't have any shares.
Did you invest in a domain name license or two which you purchased via drop.com.au? yes.
Can those purchases be seen as investments and produce a return? yes.

- Anthony

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
So you have just 100% guaranteed drop.com.au customers and domain name investors there is no lottery?

People can buy names from drop.com.au auctions and be assured they will be eligible if anther .au domain name extension comes in?

Have you got this in writing from auDA, an auDA Director, the PRP or are you just wanting to carry on as if the elephant in the room is not a major issue and until people who know the problem, who went to the PRP meetings, who have evidence from the PRP meetings, know what was claimed, said and suggested by the PRP are muted? Good luck with that. We ( your paying customers) will be here long after the current auDA Management and Board members are.
It is frustratingly time consuming to have to prove you wrong and then have you continue to ignore the facts.
Lets turn this around... Do you have anything in writing which says the lottery model is being adopted?

All you have is a discussion point from a panel from almost a year ago which you have latched onto as your version of the future. You then made a decision to discuss this within a small circle of people who want to believe the same thing. At some point you chose yourself as their spokesperson and to attack in as big a font and as loudly as you can. As a result you became a hinderance to the process as you are no longer providing constructive input. Once that occurs they stop telling you what is going on and the information you have to work with becomes stale. Your input is then dismissed moving forwards until you chose to constructively engage in the consultation process again. It is quite similar to a baby losing their dummy, having a timeout and then being allowed to play with the building blocks again.

I want to be very clear here. The lottery idea was dumb.. really dumb and so was the date. Both those ideas got enough negative feedback during the public consultation that they got changed. So clap clap you got a result by shouting during the public forums, but I'd bet my coffee mug that that would have been the outcome anyway because others gave clear concise feedback to that effect too. The downside to the shouting in public forums and not allowing others to participate in the process is that you now have to be physically evicted from meetings or blocked by a code of conduct in order for auDA to get feedback from others.

I'll say it again auDA, has done some inexcusable stuff and I don't want to be seen to be defending them blindly, but they have to learn and we have to re-engage in the proper process within panels if we are ever to be help shape future policy.

I agree that customers will be around after the current auDA management, but equally the policies will also remain. To this day I regret not putting my hand up to be on the PRP, even though it seems to be a bit of a shambles from the outside I still think it is going to shape our futures.

- Anthony

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Thanks for the chat. I am happy you listened to reason, the facts and took on board the input then changed your position and have come to agree :)

Seriously thanks for the chat today on the phone... we can keep the discussions flowing.

Sorry are you on the PRP now? i didn't see the announcement. I had thought Nikki Scholes from www.Netfleet.com.au had raised her hand so I'm not sure what happened there.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member