What's new

Com versus com.au

Honan

Top Contributor
Hypothetical
Say I have had a static website named
Snoopysaysdothis dot com for a couple of years and it now makes $5 per month total from Australians.
That is enough to cover my renewal, hosting and maintenance.
Should I register snoopysaysdothis dot com dot au if I meet the eligibility criteria?
Yes register or no don't register it? And why?

snoopy

Top Contributor
No don't register it, $5 per month is too small a revenue stream to be trying to "protect". You'll be spending $10 per year to make an extra 5 cents.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
If it's going to earn more than the invested amount isn't that called making a profit.
If it's $20 to register the .au then why wouldn't traffic go to it.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If it's going to earn more than the invested amount isn't that called making a profit.
If it's $20 to register the .au then why wouldn't traffic go to it.

If the .com is making $60 per year then registering the .com.au isn't likely to generate $10. The lost traffic is probably a few cents a year in my view.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
If the .com is making $60 per year then registering the .com.au isn't likely to generate $10. The lost traffic is probably a few cents a year in my view.

if the traffic is mostly from Aus then is it not likely they will choose the .au over the .com due to its locality? or has the Ausregistry/auDA report mislead us into thinking the .au brand is the first choice extension.

Just speculating, if the domain is adult or gambling then no point registering the .au but for the sake of the experiment, registering the .au for legit keywords that impose a sense of location or local presence then $20 for the extension that has made $60 is reasonable;

Shane

Top Contributor
...and it now makes $5 per month total from Australians.

If you expected it to continue kicking along at $5 a month I wouldn't bother, but if you were planning on continuing development and hoping to grow the site, then you'd be crazy not to grab the com.au as a hand reg.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member