What's new

COM.AU domains worth 6.5% of COM

DavidL

Top Contributor
Great to have an number on it based on more than gut instinct.

Sounds about right to me actually.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Can you post the full article? I agree to a certain extent, but it really depends on the market that you are trying to reach and it's size. There are obvious trust factors when dealing with a .com.au and likewise for a .com operating out of Australia.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Data in not reliable in my view, can't even get $450 for 40.com.au. The .com would be high 5 figures.

If you believe this index domain values are significantly higher than 2007, which is obviously not correct. Would say the issue is relying on Sedo data which is mainly enduser sales (which have increased) not auction data.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Data in not reliable in my view, can't even get $450 for 40.com.au. The .com would be high 5 figures.

Quick, contact Thies - snoopy's cherry-picked a solitary example to prove how this isn't true.

PS Just so you know, snoopy, numeric .com's have always attracted a premium over non-numeric .com's due to their completely global nature - ie they actually match the gTLD. Even something like creditcards.com only appeals the the English speaking world.

Mark

Top Contributor

If you believe this index domain values are significantly higher than 2007, which is obviously not correct. Would say the issue is relying on Sedo data which is mainly enduser sales (which have increased) not auction data.

Yawn.

Thies is extremely careful with his data Snoopy, and doesn't idly throw these figures around. This is based on thousands of like for like past domain sales. I'd say it's the most accurate comparison to date - apart from your one domain name of course :)

xwdomains

Top Contributor

No clear monetizing strategy for a domain like 40 the .com is doing nothing also

doubt you'll ever get $450 for it good luck:)

6.5% is pretty close to quite a lot of recent sales for .au compared to .com

snoopy

Top Contributor
No clear monetizing strategy for a domain like 40 the .com is doing nothing also

doubt you'll ever get $450 for it good luck:)

Agree, but the fact is the .com would be worth high 5 figures. Agree the .com.au isn't likely to sell for $450, if fact it is being offer for that with near zero interest.

6.5% is pretty close to quite a lot of recent sales for .au compared to .com

Examples?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thies is extremely careful with his data Snoopy, and doesn't idly throw these figures around. This is based on thousands of like for like past domain sales. I'd say it's the most accurate comparison to date - apart from your one domain name of course :)

I'm sure he is careful, most academics are, but that doesn't mean that the data being used to start with is any good or that is isn't skewed towards a "sales pitch" rather than something unbiased.

Do you for example also believe that .info prices are higher than .com.au? or that .eu values are higher than .org? Because those are other findings of this study.

Secondly, what do you mean by "like for like" past domain sales?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I've always operated on the assumption that they are about 8 - 10% of .com so a figure like 6.5% doesn't surprise me at all.

That said, of course the sample you use could make a significant difference.

aus11

Top Contributor

My guess would be exactly what it says.

Comparing two exact domains with the only difference being the extension. ie. creditcard.com and creditcard.com.au

Mark

Top Contributor
I'm sure he is careful, most academics are, but that doesn't mean that the data being used to start with is any good or that is isn't skewed towards a "sales pitch" rather than something unbiased.

Do you for example also believe that .info prices are higher than .com.au? or that .eu values are higher than .org? Because those are other findings of this study.

I'd say it's the most accurate comparison to date. Until you can come up with a better theory, other than Snoopinism, I think it's the best we've got isn't it? What's wrong with the sales data anyhow?

I hope I'm not misquoting but I think:

ln(Pi,t2) − ln(Pj,t1) = k!=K k=1 γkT LDCombik,i,j + t!=T t=2 βtDt,i,j + #t,i,j

:)

Or as I understand it - similar/exact matching domains.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I'd say it's the most accurate comparison to date. Until you can come up with a better theory, other than Snoopinism, I think it's the best we've got isn't it? What's wrong with the sales data anyhow?

I hope I'm not misquoting but I think:

ln(Pi,t2) − ln(Pj,t1) = k!=K k=1 γkT LDCombik,i,j + t!=T t=2 βtDt,i,j + #t,i,j

:)

Or as I understand it - similar/exact matching domains.

Mark, I don't think you have any clue what that means.

It sounds great because it is full of formulas that nobody is going to understand but the actual data used is bad in my view. Where is the data for a start? If it is exact keywords in different extensions how many .com.au sales is this based on? Unless Sedo is suddenly selling a lot of .com.au that has got to be a tiny sample where the .com.au matches with other extensions. Ditto for .eu, .mobi etc

Why is there no discussion of the actual data used and its limitations aside from the magical 233,399 number? I think I know why, it is because it is a sales pitch, .com is way above 2007 levels, .net is worth 25% of a .com and .eu is worth 3 times more than .com.au. That is the conclusion of this paper.

Mark

Top Contributor
Mark, I don't think you have any clue what that means.

No - really, you think?! Of course I don't know what that formula means it's called tongue in cheek!

Where is the data for a start? If it is exact keywords in different extensions how many .com.au sales is this based on? Unless Sedo is suddenly selling a lot of .com.au that has got to be a tiny sample where the .com.au matches with other extensions.

We supplied thousands of .au sales to Thies for him to compare against .com, stretching back to 2008. The data is good.

snoopy

Top Contributor
We supplied thousands of .au sales to Thies for him to compare against .com, stretching back to 2008. The data is good.

Thanks, do you know how many were actually comparable, ie sales in other extensions?

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Thanks, do you know how many were actually comparable, ie sales in other extensions?

Maybe a thousand?

From The Australian...

"(Thies) estimated that com.au URLs trade at only 6.5 per cent of their .com counterparts. This is based on the analysis of more than 30,000 URL sales around the globe, including more than 1000 Australian URLs."

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member