What's new

.com.au and the .com?

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Just got another email saying "I noted you have the exampledomain. com.au and I have the exampledomain. com for sale if you want to buy it."

Just wondering what other peoples responses are to those kinds of emails?

Do you try to get the .com as well, or don't you bother?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i have a couple of matching .com and com.au's with the hope being if the business idea ever took off i would be prepared, worth noting i would not base a whole portfolio around this principle

dicardo83

I've had other's register the exact .com version of my .com.au domain name for the sole purpose of Google Adwords. My advice would be to register the .com yourself if you can ideally.

Ashman

Top Contributor
Just got another email saying "I noted you have the exampledomain. com.au and I have the exampledomain. com for sale if you want to buy it."

Just wondering what other peoples responses are to those kinds of emails?

Do you try to get the .com as well, or don't you bother?

I always register the .com if it's available and if the .com is registered and not being used I try and buy it.

I once offered a guy $400 for the .com he wasn't using. He declined and then about 6 months later I picked it up for $100 on a sales platform.

findtim

Top Contributor
it depends on the business, dubbodentist doesn't need the .com IMO

other names might

if I get an email like that I check its statis, it is often not even registered or about to drop , and then I just let it drop as there are sooooooooooo many names dropping in the .com space heaps get missed.

I'm not talking wedding.com type domains but basic 2 word domains

thus I don't reply to those emails, either I am interested and check it out myself or just let it go

dubbodentist doesn't need to be a .com

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a couple of matching .com and com.au's with the hope being if the business idea ever took off i would be prepared, worth noting i would not base a whole portfolio around this principle

I have just 1 that I am building to then try and sell off in the .com space, basically registered BEFORE what I know now 10 years ago and I have been approach a few time for it from USA.

I think you need to separate the ozzie and the international ideal of a domain.

I think there are consistent rules that do not change, dubbodentist doesn't need to be a .com , goldcoastresorts should be a .com and .com.au

but if you owned something like springfield.com and .com.au then you could easily split them and flog the .com off as there must be MANY springfields in the world !

but the springfield.com I don't think is going to give you any benefit in australia

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If your target market spans the globe or the business/brand could scale internationally, yes it's worth getting the .com (assuming the pricing is right).

As Tim has suggested, for some locally focussed sites it's not a big deal if you don't have the .com. If you own a successful site/brand and the .com is free to register or cheap to buy, it's probably worth grabbing for brand protection.

From another perspective, I have sites that target a global audience using a .com domain where I haven't bothered getting the .com.au. Given the sites will always be globally targeted, getting ccTLDs would be a waste of my time and money.

I think it's a case by case decision, I certainly wouldn't default to buying the .com and .com.au as a pair on every occasion.

findtim

Top Contributor
I think it's a case by case decision, I certainly wouldn't default to buying the .com and .com.au as a pair on every occasion.

that sentence probable sums it all up

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Yeah, thanks.
Also gotta think about when it comes to selling, and I have had it both ways... More valuable with both .com.au and .com, also had it more valuable without both so someone may want to buy it for a matching pair.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Yeah, thanks.
Also gotta think about when it comes to selling, and I have had it both ways... More valuable with both .com.au and .com, also had it more valuable without both so someone may want to buy it for a matching pair.

I don't sell a high volume of domains, but my own experience has been that people usually have one domain and one extension in mind. They're not usually interested in complementary terms (similar domains) or matching gTLDs or ccTLDs.

'Packaging' domains isn't an approach that I've found to be effective, all it does is increase the holding costs.

For brand protection however, that's a different story. For my key websites/brands I typically buy all the main gTLDs and relevant ccTLDs.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo