What's new

cmwg is auda new crc

DomainNames

Top Contributor
QUOTED
CMWG is auDA’s new CRC?!

June 7, 2018 by Robert

Dictators inevitably always fail to people power, because the people eventually see through their intentions. And intentions, after all, are what distinguishes an arrogant dictator from a great leader.

What exactly have Cameron Boardman’s (current auDA CEO) intentions been over the past few years?

How many people see him as more-like one, over the other?

I guess the only way we can know the answer to this question for certain is to see the final result of another question being asked at the auDA SGM (Special General Meeting) that’s fast approaching us on July 27th.

The result of that day will surely provide an instant answer. The question being;

Resolution 1 – Vote of no confidence in Cameron Boardman (CEO)

For months I was leaning on either side of the fence. I was trying to see all sides of the auDA turmoil. Hell, late last year I volunteered my time to be a part of auDA’s CRC (Constitutional Reform Committee) and in early January this year I even publicly defended Cameron and auDA when David Goldstein wrote some factually incorrect information about the now-publicly-failed CRC (Constitutional Reform Committee), of which, as stated, I was a member.

To this day, I have still not been told by auDA or Cameron that the CRC is over.

The CRC literally just evaporated into thin air. And I was left turning my head and shaking my shoulders. A few of us gave each other a phone call after a few weeks and asked each other, “Is this thing still happening?”

I can’t find the last email at the moment from this period, but I’ll try and post it in the comments tomorrow. From memory Cameron suggested he was finding a replacement for Scott Long, who had publicly resigned stating; auDA “management deliberately oppressed my role as the Chair of Constitution Reform Committee”.

Yet, I never heard anything again about it.

For those not in the know, the CRC was created by auDA as basically the first version of the now CMWG (Constitutional Model Working Group). From all accounts I’m receiving, this “independent perspective” committee still seems to be being offered “strong direction advice” from a certain board member of auDA.

Put it this way, auDA’s own newsletter regarding the CMWG sent out to members today, reads as follows:

The job of the CMWG is to define and oversee the process of consultation with the entire auDA membership – and wider Australian community – on the reforms required for auDA to meet the Commonwealth Government’s expectations.

Although we were created as an initiative of the auDA Board, every one of us is operating from an independent perspective.

… but then only two paragraph’s later, the newsletter goes on to state:

Although we are chaired by the CEO of auDA, Cameron Boardman, our mission is not to advance the agenda of auDA management. Cameron acts purely to facilitate and support the working group’s activity.

Isn’t this last sentence just like Google’s original motto; “Don’t Be Evil!

If you have to state something like this, doesn’t it allude that you may believe everyone’s going to be thinking about exactly that?

Perhaps there’s a good reason?

Anyway, let me get this straight…

The CMWG has been formed, “as an initiative of the auDA Board”, just like the CRC was, but we see that Cameron’s attending a large majority of the meetings, for… hmmm…

If this thing was truly independent, then… surely Cameron wouldn’t have to be “present” at a majority of these meetings.

Couldn’t someone else from auDA do this job instead? If it’s just “facilitating” and “supporting”?

In terms of how effective this CMWG is being with the current few-hundred auDA members…

Three days ago, auDA send out an email stating:

in the auDA members’ discussion forum we have a dedicated discussion category where you can have your say on each of the 29 recommendations

To this day, three days later, a grand total of four people have bothered to look at these, with zero people engaging in any sort of comment.

auDA Forum Screenshot, 7th June, 2018
Also important to note is at the bottom of the same email from three days ago, auDA finally publicly acknowledged and revealed that they had indeed pre-emptively locked out and hijacked (my word, not theirs) two premium Direct .AU Registration domain names for themselves:

You may have seen reports last week that the domain names ‘whois.au‘ and ‘registry.au‘ have been reserved by auDA. This is true.

However, contrary to some reports, these names are unrelated to the introduction of ‘direct registration’ in the .au namespace.

Huh?

It’s standard practice for TLD operators to reserve names for registry use (as per section 3 of Specification 5 of ICANN’s registry agreement). Common examples include WWW, WHOIS and RDDS. Accordingly, the approval was given for these names on the basis they’d be used in the operational test environment used by registrars as part of preparations for transition of registry services to Afilias.

So, they know they don’t have a single example of any Domain Name Registry anywhere in the entire world using the generic word “Registry” as a pre-emptive, locked-out, test-environment domain name? And they’re still okay with this?

There’s obviously lots wrong with that statement, but I’m trying to give Cameron a little more time to completely comprehend exactly what he’s done here.

They went on to say:

It makes sense that auDA holds the domain name for the WHOIS service rather than an external party as is the case now. Currently, the domain name for the WHOIS database is whois.ausregistry.com.au. This will change once Afilias takes over as registry operator on 1 July, although the domain name has not been finalised. This is another reason why we reserved the names in question and are planning to reserve more.

And again… no mention of why and how they believe they can hijack Registry.au(.)

And how about the obvious contradiction they make by stating, It makes sense that auDA holds the domain name for the WHOIS service” directly followed by, “Currently, the domain name for the WHOIS database is whois.ausregistry.com.au”.

Wha?!

I think they answered their own question. In that it DOESN’T make sense at all.

And how about this golden nugget, “This is another reason why we reserved the names in question and are PLANNING TO RESERVE MORE“.

Say goodbye to Internet.au(,) Club.au(,) Example.au(,) Cameron.au(?)

Looks like your own one-word premium generic Direct .AU domain name COULD BE NEXT!!!

BEFORE THEY EVEN EXIST!!

It’s been 7 days since I wrote to auDA and clearly proved why they didn’t have a right to pre-register and hijack WHOIS.au and Registry.au for themselves…

I still haven’t received an official response…

Just ignored.

Which seems to be a common theme members have been shown over the past few years.

The same way my emails have been ignored by John Swinson, Chair of the PRP (Policy Reform Panel), in regards to removing Brett Fenton from the PRP for his bias views on domain names. I know other members have also emailed John about this. One of them finally got a response, so we’ll take another detailed look at this subject next week…

And they wonder why members feel like they have no choice but to stand up and yell from the rooftops?

What can you do…. What can you do indeed…

In my next article I will be writing my third and final rebuttal to Cameron’s idea that it was and “IS okay” for him to have allowed the early locking-out of the two premium GENERIC Direct .AU Registration domain names, WHOIS.au and Registry.au(.)

Unless he sorts all this out in the meantime?

Until then…

https://www.domainer.com.au/cmwg-is-auda-new-crc/

In the wise words of the mighty Jack Nicholson…

snoopy

Top Contributor
I’ve heard that the PRP is plagued by the same issue, an auDA staff member turns up and has input on issues to this “independent panel”.

I believe the anti monetization stance is party coming from auDA itself.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I feel and I have made it known the CMWG is being heavily swayed by auDA Management, what they want, what they want written, what they want government to read.

In particular I raised numerous issues and errors with the newsletters put out stating I found them misleading in that they selectively misquote the Government context which makes the overall message is taken out of context by those who read it.

The Newsletters are not written by the CMWG. They are written by auDA Management and their PR company www.HortonAdvisory.com.au. Yes we where asked for feedback. I provided it but I do not see the requested amendments which would have been far more factual and detailed for stakeholders

I have a serious concern the proposed models have not been properly discussed, the CMWG has no real information about them and yet auDA wants to rush in a forum next week to it all looks good to the government auDA is meeting deadlines.

I have no doubts this CMWG is much like the CMWG and CRC. I will not resign ( although I felt like someone was pushing me to).

I reference others who have experienced the same so everyone knows what is really going on;
http://www.domainpulse.com/2018/01/04/audas-broken-management/

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I'd like to know why so few of the CMWG are actually members of auDA.

How did the non members find themselves involved?

How did they find out about it? Who decided they were suitable? Are they Cam's mates?

Should non members wield such influence?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I ask because one of them was trying to say that voting should be allowed on the rejected models by the new members despite knowing that they are probably foreigners and work for supply side companies. The ones that will control auDA at the next AGM.

Last edited:

Scott.L

Top Contributor

How did they find out about it? Who decided they were suitable? Are they Cam's mates?

Yeah, its funny you mention that - I questioned this also because the Notice stated:

It is expected the Working Group initially will have a membership of 10 with equal (as best as possible) representation from both supply and demand class members.
read here

...representation from both supply and demand class members

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Why is the Consultation Model Working Group working on the auDA membership model?

Aren't they two separate issues?

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Why is the Consultation Model Working Group working on the auDA membership model?

Aren't they two separate issues?

yep its out of its TOR

upload_2018-7-3_0-8-47.png

The TOR was about creating a Model of engagement with Members and Stakeholders; it was about how that model translates to an effective format for consultation.

Just like the statement about forming the "Working Group" from both supply and demand class members.

...Make shit up as they go.

Underpants

The Call for Expressions of Interest: Consultation Model Working Group, 4 May 2018 https://www.auda.org.au/news/call-for-expressions-of-interest-consultation-model-working-group/ auDA asked for interested members and stakeholders to join the Consultation Model Working Group (CMWG). Don't people want a "multi-stakeholder approach"?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I believe that it's sleight of hand, getting a group half of whom aren't members to fine tune the new membership model. Half of whom were hand picked by the cabal in charge.

That is great political manoeuvring to bring in your own people to make decisions. Oh wait that's what they've done in all areas.

Swap the old employees, arrange your own talent search people to bring in new directors or CEO or Chairpersons, bring in your consultants to justify change, replace the CRC member panel with your people (non members) in the "Consultation Model Working Group".

Write your own review of auDA's supposed short comings and present it to the government (your Victorian liberal party friends in Canberra). "Those pesky members are ruining the running of auDA".

Last edited:

Scott.L

Top Contributor
The Call for Expressions of Interest: Consultation Model Working Group, 4 May 2018 https://www.auda.org.au/news/call-for-expressions-of-interest-consultation-model-working-group/ auDA asked for interested members and stakeholders to join the Consultation Model Working Group (CMWG). Don't people want a "multi-stakeholder approach"?

auDA board resolution (5 June 2000) "Motion carried that board members are not eligible to be members of Advisory Panels"; to my knowledge this rule has not changed. The CEO Cameron Boardman is the Chair of the CMWG which raises significant Corporate Governance Issues regarding constitutional Reform. Wouldn't you agree?

joshrowe

Top Contributor
auDA board resolution (5 June 2000) "Motion carried that board members are not eligible to be members of Advisory Panels"; to my knowledge this rule has not changed. The CEO Cameron Boardman is the Chair of the CMWG which raises significant Corporate Governance Issues regarding constitutional Reform. Wouldn't you agree?

This policy was changed to allow auDA board/staff to sit on panels. However, it is odd to have the CEO as the chair of a panel. Usually this is an independent person.

Underpants

Scott.L are you a member of the CMWG?

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Scott.L You have lots to say about the CMWG, so I thought being a member you might have your thinking considered.

I didn't apply because The CMWG was to develop a model of consultation which could be used to consult with members and stakeholders about the Government Recommendations and reform. I was not interested in consulting with a group on how best to consult with members and stakeholders, auDA directors should be doing that Job.

The CMWG’s main focus is to develop a model of consultation that ensures all auDA members and wider stakeholders of the .au namespace have a chance to provide feedback on the constitutional changes auDA needs to make to meet the Australian Government’s new Terms of Endorsement.

auDA is lost, its CEO is the Chair of The CMWG and he has not provided a model of consultation according to the Boards ToR . Now its currently operating outside its own Terms Of Reference to satisfy the optics of doing something when it is not. instead, they Hire a PR company Think Place Pty Ltd to do it.

upload_2018-7-20_12-48-12.png
see here

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Membership of the CMWG will be by invitation and through a membership-wide expression of interest. It is expected the Working Group initially will have a membership of 10 with equal (as best as possible) representation from both supply and demand class members.

A Truly Multi-Stakeholder Group - Something is missing. I just Cant figure it out ...

upload_2018-7-20_14-56-51.png

I know that Mr Boardman has a deep respect for the multi-stakeholder model, indeed he says it is the foundation on which auDA is constituted.
Chris Leptos auDA announcement

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members