What's new

Children's names as domain names

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has registered their children's names as .com.au or .net.au or are you best off sticking to .id.au because of the rules surrounding the registrations?

Thanks.

snoopy

Top Contributor
or are you best off sticking to .id.au because of the rules surrounding the registrations?

That would be a real booby prize for the kid. Would go for the .com if possible for a personal name, .com.au second choice.

neddy

Top Contributor
If they are your children's names, then you haven't got a problem in justifying your "close and substantial connection" with .com.au.

Joel

Top Contributor
I actually registered both kids names today as .com rather than .com.au

I just prefer the .com - no other reason why really.

Joel

Top Contributor
They must have unusual names if the .com was available?

Yeah, they're not very common first names. My wife also has the .com of her name - I'm the only one with .com.au as my name is too common :)

Ash

Top Contributor
My son's name is quite a popular surname and my daughter's name is a popular kid's cartoon so there was no chance of registering just their first name... had to go with a combination of firstlast.com/.au and initialsurname.com.

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
I actually registered both kids names today as .com rather than .com.au

I just prefer the .com - no other reason why really.

Think it makes a lot of sense for personal sites.

-No red tape, especially since it might be years and year until they use it, eg expiring ABN's or changes to the business owning it.
-Can be transferred to them easily.
-Global which I think works better for personal names - sounds more impressive.
-The .com.au will probably be available for longer and if later registered probably more likely to expire later anyway if they decide they want it in 15 years.
-Much higher chance of selling the .com.

acheeva

Top Contributor
I registered my children as .com.au & net.au (where available)

I had a lady begging for one of them because her child was "going to be the next Madonna.."

I offered her the net.au, but she was smart enough to realize my motive!

johno69

Top Contributor
I registered my son's name with .com, my girls names I wasn't as worried about due to them marrying etc.

My name was taken in all major extensions so grabbed id.au

I even got my son's first name @gmail.com back when Gmail 1st went into Beta.

He was about 2 at the time, but loves it now.

findtim

Top Contributor
i registered my kids names as .com and .com.au (first/surname.com.au) as soon as we had the 20 week ultrasounds and found out their sex as we had settled on the names.

i have my own name as a .com.au ( the .com was taken), helena has hers as a .com.au

i also have the kids twitter names, i have them signed up to facebook but as i'm not a liker of facebook so i gave up !

kinda like saying you have your ICQ name secured ! does anyone remember that?

----------

The websites have nothing on them but i have considered putting my mobile phone number on it and teaching them to tell someone if they are lost to go to their website ! as it is their name with a .com after it !

i think its cute, most would think paranoid, but hey ...... i'm all for putting a microchip gps into their shoulder like dogs ! LOL, now theres a million dollar idea

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
I registered my son's name with .com, my girls names I wasn't as worried about due to them marrying etc.

My name was taken in all major extensions so grabbed id.au

I even got my son's first name @gmail.com back when Gmail 1st went into Beta.

He was about 2 at the time, but loves it now.

marrying: interesting insight ! helena hasn't changed her last name and MANYYYYY women don't these days, we were actually JUST talking about it over dinner tonight with friends another of which didn't change her last name after marriage either as "i love him but not his name and mine is so much better...."

well? once you have your own domain why do you need gmail?

-----------

OOHH, also i gave my neice and nephew their .com names many years ago and they sat their doing nothing for years, but Tom finished uni last year (marketing) and then created a website profile for himself and is now doing a 1 year stint at Disneyland Florida, and one of the things they mentioned was that he had his domain name so they could easily review him and his interests.

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
once you have your own domain why do you need gmail?

I wasn't into buying domains 8 years ago like I am these days. If you could grab tim @ gmail.com you wouldn't have?

helena hasn't changed her last name and MANYYYYY women don't these days

Yes I think my future wife will be keeping her current name. Might have something to do with me having same last name as the dreaded ex husband lol.

Shane

Top Contributor
I haven't registered any future children's names, but I did get my full name in .com back in 2002. My sister's first name was also available in .com back then but for some stupid reason I didn't register it for her. Big mistake!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member