What's new

Check This Out

theseoconsultant

Top Contributor
Do a search for "online gambling"; you will see it appear on the first page - but it's been hacked in the past and is still ranking there by the looks of things.

johno69

Top Contributor
It's an edu domain , how can they offer gambling. Am I missing something.

Don

You only get that gambling site if you access it via Google or another search engine.

Access it via your link and you get a basic, but poorly designed website.

That's where the confusion comes in.

geodomains

Top Contributor
You only get that gambling site if you access it via Google or another search engine.

Access it via your link and you get a basic, but poorly designed website.

That's where the confusion comes in.

That explains it, thanks. Yeah did get it from Google when I looked.

Don

johno69

Top Contributor
It's a tactic used so when the owner of the site visits, they see no problem.

The hijack is done in the htaccess to capture users that arrived via search.

helloworld

Top Contributor
The thing is this type of damage is hard to clean up over time re the link profile, probably have to disavow a whole heap of the spam. It would involve a bit of work.

But yeah hacked sites are never good too see.

I doubt they'd bother cleaning their link profile. In these instances Google normally just kills the search for this site for that term.

Similar to the hacks done on another site a few years back that redirected to the vatican

James

Top Contributor
I doubt they'd bother cleaning their link profile. In these instances Google normally just kills the search for this site for that term.

Similar to the hacks done on another site a few years back that redirected to the vatican

Depends how much brand equity the domain has. As Jono has stated the on site changed are not too crazy. But yes it can just be a case of starting again. I do not think a redirect would help the problems but.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Depends how much brand equity the domain has. As Jono has stated the on site changed are not too crazy. But yes it can just be a case of starting again. I do not think a redirect would help the problems but.

In this instance it's really not an issue. Once they have fixed the script for redirects, (which I haven't seen active) then it's simply a matter of contacting google. It's an edu sub domain so unlikely they would start again or give too much concern with search marketing

Honan

Top Contributor
It's a tactic used so when the owner of the site visits, they see no problem.

The hijack is done in the htaccess to capture users that arrived via search.
Thank you johno69
Grateful for the explanation.
What is the best way to avoid this happening to your own site/s?

johno69

Top Contributor
Thank you johno69
Grateful for the explanation.
What is the best way to avoid this happening to your own site/s?

if it's WordPress, use Wordfence. It will monitor file changes and notify you when anything changes, then you can fix it.

If not WordPress then manually keep an eye on the htaccess file.

I have previously set up a cron to notify me of any changes to any files when I had a Joomla site years ago under attack.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo