What's new

Change of registrant fail

joe

Top Contributor
I just got a message from netregistry that a COR I was waiting for has failed on account of the seller not checking his email or otherwise failing to click the link confirming his agreement to the transfer. I've asked NR to reissue the request but am interested to know what I should expect as I've never had to deal with this situation. Not keen on paying another $90 in administrative fees.

neddy

Top Contributor
I don't expect you will be required to pay anything. Just a matter of doing it over again. Please let us know if it turns out to be different.

In the future, if you are buying a domain off someone and the domain is at a Registrar that is expensive for COR's, ask the seller to transfer the domain to Ventra or Drop. It costs them nothing to do that, and you save a heap of $$$. The COR fee at Ventra is $39.95; and Drop is $49.95. Both electronic as well.

It's an advantage to the seller as well. They may want to buy or sell again in the future, and knowing you can get cheaper COR's is a big plus.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
NEVER use MelbourneIT for COR ( change of registrant) they are a total ripp off at $339 and they have hard copy paper required with hand written signatures required still. Just did one for a sale to an end user who wanted to use them. It took over 1 week and the cost they charge is absurd showing just how far behind the times Melbourne IT is compared to competition pricing.

Thank God we have competiton in the australian market and thank god melbourne It lost its old monopoly they had once.

Only ever use drop.com.au or ventraip.com.au and explain why to your buyers. The more people who know the better for all. Your customer will also thank you for the added advice on savings

johno69

Top Contributor
the cost they charge is absurd showing just how far behind the times Melbourne IT is compared to competition pricing.

They don't need to change because:

an end user who wanted to use them.

They don't need volume which is what being price competitive gives.

They make the same profit (if not more with less man hours) with 1/10th of sales because people just simply want to use them.

I wouldn't use them obviously. As price is a factor for me.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
They don't need to change because:

They don't need volume which is what being price competitive gives.

They make the same profit (if not more with less man hours) with 1/10th of sales because people just simply want to use them.

I wouldn't use them obviously. As price is a factor for me.

The advice given was to inform members on this forum of cheaper faster less red tape options of using drop.com.au and ventraip.com.auIt also is good to tell your buyers of other cheaper red tape options also as an option for them. My customer thanked me for the info and option to use other registrars and when they bought 3 other names they used drop.com.au instead of melbourneit...

johno69

Top Contributor
The advice given was to inform members on this forum of cheaper faster less red tape options of using drop.com.au and ventraip.com.auIt also is good to tell your buyers of other cheaper red tape options also as an option for them. My customer thanked me for the info and option to use other registrars and when they bought 3 other names they used drop.com.au instead of melbourneit...

Understood. As mentioned, I don't use MIT. ;-)

joe

Top Contributor
Thanks for the advice, Neddy. NR got back to me, sounds like they'll reissue the request. Now I just have to hound the seller to make sure he clicks the damn link :)

BTW I was wondering about the whole push-from-expensive-registrar thing so two birds, much obliged!

kiml

Hi Joe,

The online process we use requires the existing registrant to confirm the transfer before it will be put through the registry, to ensure we (NR) are compliant with auDA's transfer policy requirements. Also - just to confirm - no payment is charged unless the change of registrant is actually completed and ownership transferred.

KL

joe

Top Contributor
Update: NR has reissued the request but now the seller is complaining about "having trouble with the passwords". By password I can only assume he means the one he supplied me with to initiate the transfer.

I've never done a NR COR before but does this sound strange to anyone else? I was hoping he'd just have to click a link in an email to confirm the transfer.

joe

Top Contributor
Hell's bells.

The seller finally figured out how to approve the transfer but I got notice today that NetRegistry has declined the COR due to the name being registered through Ziphosting and, despite NR owning Zip and being listed as the Registrar (hence my assumption to initiate it through NR), they are unable to process it. Would've been nice if they could have told me that right from the start. :mad:

Further, it turns out the seller was unaware of the 6 month restriction on sale/transfer of .au names as Zip rejected it instantly when I tried to initiate it through them. :mad::mad::mad:

Needless to say, this announcement today is music to my ears -> http://www.dntrade.com.au/great-news-au-cor-6-t3903.html?t=3903

I've asked the seller to change the nameservers in the meantime so I can at least get started on development but all in all this entire ordeal has been a pretty annoying learning process.

Last edited:

joe

Top Contributor
I'm still waiting for the seller to confirm whether or not he has held the name for 6 months but out of curiosity I thought I'd try some names I've held with Ziphosting for at least a year and guess what? All of them were rejected instantly for being registered less than 6 months!!

As it stands, all future CORs I perform will be definitely be via Drop.com.au

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member