What's new

Carsales spends $1.5M on domains in FY11

Lucas

Top Contributor
Wow - Interesting!

Thanks for posting that.

I would be very interested to know what some of those domain purchases were? Surely they are buying TLDs as well for that sort of money?

Ashman

Top Contributor
Wow - Interesting!

Thanks for posting that.

I would be very interested to know what some of those domain purchases were? Surely they are buying TLDs as well for that sort of money?

They recently snapped suv.com.au for about $5,300 on the aftermarket. That domain was previously owned by Sydney University Village who let it expire by mistake.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
I seen they grabbed heavymachinery.com.au a while back I hand regged it with crazy netfleet beat me don't think crazy instantly registers domains so have stopped using them to catch names.

findtim

Top Contributor
I seen they grabbed heavymachinery.com.au a while back I hand regged it with crazy netfleet beat me don't think crazy instantly registers domains so have stopped using them to catch names.

wheres their catch system? or are you tlaking backorder?

tim

DavidL

Top Contributor
If you check the WHOIS on most automotive domains that drop they are usually there! Plus there have been plenty of direct purchases (I know because I have made approaches on the same domains previously)

James

Top Contributor
Would be renewals mostly, probably some acquisitions in their too I know they picked up a few recently like: AUTO.com.au and SUV.com.au and also they purchased carsales.com (non .com.au) I was talking to a guy from Car Sales recently said they have something crazy like 20k-30k domains.

Ashman

Top Contributor
Would be interesting to know of the 60K domains registered every month in Australia how many unique buyers make up that list.

James

Top Contributor
If you check the WHOIS on most automotive domains that drop they are usually there! Plus there have been plenty of direct purchases (I know because I have made approaches on the same domains previously)

true they also must have picked up:

cars.com.au

carshow.com.au

they also set up this blog which many redirect too: http://www.motoring.com.au/

Regards

findtim

Top Contributor
had a quick read of their balance statement and they have a war-chest of funds and theres no real "bricks and mortar" to them so they are just investing where they should be

tim

James

Top Contributor
had a quick read of their balance statement and they have a war-chest of funds and theres no real "bricks and mortar" to them so they are just investing where they should be

tim

Yeah they hire the best people too, they got like 2 people who use to work at our company to go and work for them, they really do own the space at the moment.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
wheres their catch system? or are you tlaking backorder?

tim

No I have my own tools that automatically tries to register the domain for me

it basically tries catching on 5 Machines so clicks to check goes to order page etc

but it needs a direct connection crazy seems to manually approve or not register instantly sometimes it catches bit of a hit and miss.

findtim

Top Contributor
No I have my own tools that automatically tries to register the domain for me

it basically tries catching on 5 Machines so clicks to check goes to order page etc

but it needs a direct connection crazy seems to manually approve or not register instantly sometimes it catches bit of a hit and miss.

get rid of it !, thats like a dutch auction that you don't say "SOLD" to quick enough !!
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members