What's new

buying a parked domain

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a client that wants a particular domain name but someone has it and its just parked. whats the best way to approach this?

its sydney w**** ******s dot com dot au , he owns the one without the "s" ( cooler) but wants this one.

any advice appreciated

tim

Last edited by a moderator:

payattention

Archived Member
You could get the ball rolling by letting them know you're interested in purchasing it. Maybe ask for a ball park figure before making an offer.

soj

Founder
Tim - my first bit of advice would be to delete the domain name from your post. You just never know who is lurking; or who knows who.

If I read on a forum that a person was after my domain, I would raise my price expectations! ;)

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Tim - my first bit of advice would be to delete the domain name from your post. You just never know who is lurking; or who knows who.

If I read on a forum that a person was after my domain, I would raise my price expectations! ;)

I was thinking the same, so I took the liberty of removing it. Think window might have closed anyway.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks, yeh i was unsure about that but thought it might help in the advice being given to me.

thanks

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
the owner of the domain is a direct competitor so no point in contacting them ! don't understand why he's just parked the domain but !

johno69

Top Contributor
the owner of the domain is a direct competitor so no point in contacting them !

I don't see the relevance there really.

Create a free yahoo email account and call yourself George.. they don't need to know who they are selling to until they have signed it away.

Reminds me of a friend who was approached to buy one of his domains a few years back. He was happy to sell, then after the dust settled the whois showed Google.

findtim

Top Contributor
good idea, WELL thats why we go on forums !!!!

and LOL i have done this trick a million times, "secret shopper" , but if the guy has as an example " ballinabolts.com.au" ( not the true name) and he's selling bolts but using his johnwilliamsbolts.com.au domain because "thats what has always done" why would he give up ballinabolts?

BUT, then again i am breaking my rule of "just ask" and see what happens.

OK, so i'll go forth in stealth and see what happens.

BUT the reality is the domain name is EXACTLY what he is selling and what my client is selling so i can't even pretend to say "ohh no we aren't competing with you.... we don't sell bolts... we sell exit strategies for people wanting to leave ballina !!!! LOL"

so i think its goign nowhere.

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I don't see the relevance there really.

Create a free yahoo email account and call yourself George.. they don't need to know who they are selling to until they have signed it away.

Reminds me of a friend who was approached to buy one of his domains a few years back. He was happy to sell, then after the dust settled the whois showed Google.

A DNT member tied to use an alias with me once, but I busted them by looking at the email headers :D

findtim

Top Contributor
Plus if you are selling something you want to know some real contact details etc. don't you?

We are working on a project right now that involves some "secret shopper" phone calls across OZ, its HARD YARDS, we gotta find a business in that area that relates to another but doesn't have a reason for the person to "phone back" and block our incoming call numbers and invent a story, and practice every possible senario to get the info we need.

the secret shopper client is the head office of a franchise so we are secret shopping their company !! go figure? but thats what they do and when i was with woolies back in 1983 -88 thats exactly what we use to do.

back to the point: i think this is a no goer but stay tuned, i'll give it a go !

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
A DNT member tied to use an alias with me once, but I busted them by looking at the email headers :D

But the average Joe that is more interested in running a bolt business and just registered the ballinabolts domain because their mate said it would be a good idea wouldn't generally have the knowledge to do this.

I mean, If I wanted to buy blogger.com.au I wouldn't send an email from @blogger.com

johno69

Top Contributor
Plus if you are selling something you want to know some real contact details etc. don't you?

Not particularly. If i'm getting the price I want then I couldn't care less who it goes too.

I'm just saying, why advertise just how important the domain is to you. It's asking for a price increase IMO.

findtim

Top Contributor
But the average Joe that is more interested in running a bolt business and just registered the ballinabolts domain because their mate said it would be a good idea wouldn't generally have the knowledge to do this.

I mean, If I wanted to buy blogger.com.au I wouldn't send an email from @blogger.com

You're right, but this is a BIG business so the guy isn't stupid, he's probably got 50+ employees and i haven't done any research yet. nobody gets to that level and doesn't know value.

remember ballinabolts is just a fake example.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
i get it john69.

the "importance" comes from the fact the domain name is SOOOOO keyword based that only a complete idiot wouldn't now it.

like, sydneyrealestate or melbourneapartments or adelaideflatrentals

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
The Victor
by: C. W. Longenecker

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win but think you can't,
It's almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost.
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you are out classed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of your-self before
You can ever win the prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor

I agree with you. I once bought a .co.nz and the owner tracked me down by looking at the same keyword.com.au whois which used the same .com email address.. significantly pushed the price up

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo