1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Booking.com trademark case

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Horshack, May 8, 2020.

1. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

Data Glasses, Scott7 and Bacon Farmer like this.
  2. Data Glasses

Data Glasses Membership: VIP

I think it has a about a year to go but I have TheBooking.Co .... not planning to renew

3. Horshack

4. Data Glasses

Data Glasses Membership: VIP

Now everything with a remote reference to "bookings" will be hit with a urdp complaint

Scott7 likes this.
  5. Horshack

Yep I agree

6. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I’ve heard and read numerous stories regarding this decision. In my view it is not a good one.. sorry.. ill correct myself here, it’s only good for lawyers & large corporations with deep pockets.. Domain Sherpa runs an interesting podcast regarding this story, if you haven’t heard, check it out!..

snoopy and Scott7 like this.
  7. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I don't think it will help domainers much either. There is hundreds, maybe thousands of generic .com EMD type domains that are already trademarked and I think it has an effect on close variants such as singular/plurals. Most lawyers would be wise to advise clients to be very wary about buying/using domain.com if domains.com is trademarked.

The USPTO should have tightened up here not loosened it. Marks should be getting invalidated, not pushing further into the mud because many have already slipped through.

Scott7 and eg73 like this.
  8. thelostagency

thelostagency Membership: VIP

Part of the issue was that many trademark agencies and law firms had a vested interest financially in getting you to register as many variations of your domain as possible but also anything related to your brand or services. The booking.com issue becomes an issue if it's accepted it's a trademark so any accommodation services wanting to use a similar domain are now also potentially locked out of the market... as bookingsydneyhotel.com or bookingflights.com may violate booking.com broad trademark

9. Joel

Joel Membership: Community