1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

blog.au, event.au, info.au and other new TLDs

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by DavidL, Apr 19, 2010.

1. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  2. Shaun

Shaun Membership: Community

Is a second extension needed in the .au space?

3. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

This is exactly the reason why this public consultation was drafted. To see what the broader community identifies as 'needed' in the .au space.

If there is a community the believes that their interests are not represented in the current .au 2LD structure then it is important that there exists a mechanism for such groups to express their concerns.

Or if you think that the .au space would be negatively affected by introducing new 2LDs, then that is equally important to voice your opinion too. Even if you just think it is a waste of time and costs... all comments and feedback is important.

(NB: I am a member of the New 2LDs Advisory Panel)

Best Regards,
    George

4. Shaun

Shaun Membership: Community

George - agreed.

In general though - do people think this will devalue your .com.au domains? Clearly .com.au will remain the strongest but surely there will be some impact?

Thoughts?

5. Drop.com.au

I think .com.au will always be king of the .au 2LD landscape. However, the idea behind blog.au is to perhaps give people the opportunity to register domains without needing to have an ABN or ACN etc.... Yes you can register an id.au without an ABN, but the domain name must relate to your personal name. You can't register domainer.id.au, but you could register domainer.blog.au and put up a blog site...

If you think about it, not everyone is eligible to register a com.au. What about the guy that just wants a domain names to host a site about his hobby or blog?

Do we introduce blog.au for bloggers and then police domain names to make sure blog sites have blog content? Or, do we reopen .info.au without any policy restrictions for people that do not meet current .au policies. Info.au would cover blogging too?

Do we reopen conf.au and keep that space going, or do we replace it with something more recognizable such as event.au? Or are conferences already covered under the current .au structure. I think most conference operators will have an ACN or ABN, so they can have a com.au anyhow...

These are just some of the questions that the panel is trying to make sure are addressed and all communities are given fair representation.

George

6. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    That makes perfect sense. However does the word 'blog' accurately reflect every type of 'personal' site an individual could want? Blog suggests a regularly updated website with posts from the blogger. However say an individual wants to set up a non-commercial static website?

Say they want to put up their CV (actually id.au would be a good match for this) or family photos or a site displaying their holiday house for rent? Does 'blog' cover these sorts of sites? Maybe it does...

7. Oz.

Oz. Membership: VIP

I totally agree, think some other term may be better suited.

8. Drop.com.au

9. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

instead of opening second level, they want to add more crappy third levels??

These people are "amazing".

10. Drop.com.au

Opening the the second level for registrations directly under .au was covered in a previous panel a couple of years back. The answer was no... There was no community support.

This is why it is important to contribute in these formal discussions. The opportunity to contribute in opening up .au has passed for now. It will be a few years before that train comes back into town.

George.

11. djuqa

djuqa Membership: Trader

Or just put one up on domainer.net.au, Like I did :D

And Lorenzo
    there are 2nd level .au sites around
    http://www.csiro.au

I think blog.au is a dead duck idea
    but info.au has merit for those people who don't want or can't get an ACN/ABN/TM for their desired domain
    I don't know how it can be controlled to stop a mega Landrush for all the good keywords

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  12. Lorenzo

I wonder how big is the impact we can have on expressing our views.

Was not the referendum won by who wanted Australia to become a Republic some years ago? But then nothing happened?

Just comparing stuff.

13. Lorenzo

it does not work :confused:

14. djuqa

djuqa Membership: Trader

15. Lorenzo

cool, that's the first one I see.

But that ain't any Bob , Dick or Harry.

The way I see it is this:

Australia and New Zealand are so stuck up in their traditions that won't give up on third levels until they either become a Republic or the UK goes second level.

Somewhat I was hoping Australian's multicultural people would have been enough to cross the bridge...but I was dreaming.

16. Drop.com.au

17. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    The other thing to consider, rather than create a new extension for individuals would be to relax the ABN requirement for com.au and net.au.