What's new

Big SEO round up post?

James

Top Contributor
Still accepting people for this, if you are keen to join shoot me an email at:

james (at) prosperitymedia.com.au

helloworld

Top Contributor
Are you interested to submit something to a big round up post I am doing, "Link building tips in 2014"

just shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you the details.

I'm interested just very busy ATM . I think you have my email addy ?

James

Top Contributor
I don't sorry, email me at the address above if you want to join, we will close the entries in a week.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Another great initiative James. Always love reading your sites.
Sure hope this is the big SEO roundup to boot!

James

Top Contributor
Will launch this on Wednesday, if any one is still keen to join in let me know before that date.

James.

Rudy

High PR domains

One thing I would love to know in your SEO round up post...

I just bought a well aged, "reasonably well" linked to PR6 .com site with valid, current DMOZ listing. I did all the ahrefs, whois, info: and site: searches and it's a legit PR6 site, but no other pages except the home page on that site is indexed anymore. It's been dead for at least a year. It was a furniture store in one of the US cities that went bust and went into administration.

So, question: Would you just do a site wide redirect to a money site and pass 100% of the link juice straight into one of the sites you own and be done with it, or would you build this up into some kind of authority site with loads of good quality content and use it as a link juice provider to a number of your money sites?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

James

Top Contributor
One thing I would love to know in your SEO round up post...

I just bought a well aged, "reasonably well" linked to PR6 .com site with valid, current DMOZ listing. I did all the ahrefs, whois, info: and site: searches and it's a legit PR6 site, but no other pages except the home page on that site is indexed anymore. It's been dead for at least a year. It was a furniture store in one of the US cities that went bust and went into administration.

So, question: Would you just do a site wide redirect to a money site and pass 100% of the link juice straight into one of the sites you own and be done with it, or would you build this up into some kind of authority site with loads of good quality content and use it as a link juice provider to a number of your money sites?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Personally I would re build the site if it has been down for 1 year.

I would not instantly do a re direct that is just from personal testing of expired domains.

I would look at the top linked to pages on Ahrefs and re build the structure. I would also look for landing pages which are currently building traffic and re build those.

The issue with a strategy like that is if it is a well known brand and if it is trademarked (or not) it can cause some negativity from loyal users in the market I saw this happen last month with a PR7 domain where some one re built the domain here - http://bit.ly/1hqcecV

Further to this you really need to test test test too see what works best.

Rudy

Mojo Juice

Nice article about http://www.ojr.org. I'm guessing Mr Lim got a pretty penny for selling it back to them in the end. :)

But even so, if you're only interested in PR it really doesnt matter about what anyone thinks of you turning the site into something else entirely. The question is if the PR juice is better used as a full site redirect to one site (giving it 100% juice) or many links on the site to various other sites.

I've seen repurposed high PR sites retain and pass on link juice for many, many years, so PR juice and how it flows is (in my humble opinion) an important part of the SEO story. Just saying. :)

petermeadit

Top Contributor
I have seen this kind of thing go both ways. PR comes and goes, if maintained properly can go a long way I agree james. Saw a lot of changes with the Google PR update they just did. I think the bottom line is for me, is to decide if the site is going to be a long term asset and treat it as such. Google has its own agenda and we want our long term assets to weather the changes that may come.

So yeah I agree with James starting with a high PR site with good SEO value still a great way to go for sure, and test the results of all the tweaks you make as you go.

Rudy

But if I test the redirect of "the entire site" in one foul swoop - it's kind of an "all in" kind of thing right? :) You think do that for a month or two first and see what happens and then go back to making it an authority site and see how that goes? Chicken or the egg? Which one do you test first?

Cause the mantra of 'test all things' is all well and good, but sometimes to test the stuff that's already been tested is maybe a smarter way to go first right? :)

So what I'm hearing is no one really has any idea which way is better - just do whatever and maybe when I figure it out report back in here to let everyone else know? :)

OK I'll just test and see. :)

Rudy...

I have seen this kind of thing go both ways. PR comes and goes, if maintained properly can go a long way I agree james. Saw a lot of changes with the Google PR update they just did. I think the bottom line is for me, is to decide if the site is going to be a long term asset and treat it as such. Google has its own agenda and we want our long term assets to weather the changes that may come.

So yeah I agree with James starting with a high PR site with good SEO value still a great way to go for sure, and test the results of all the tweaks you make as you go.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
IMO I would consider the business scenario you have in mind, which might help you decide.

Others may disagree?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members