What's new

Best way to redirect a whole site?

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi All,

Just wondering what is the best way to redirect a whole website to a separate one.

Scenario: Parent company has taken over child company and would like to redirect child company's website to it's own without losing authority/links etc...

Do you redirect the child company's entire domain to parent company's domain, or should you attempt to map similar pages between sites, i.e. child company's 'about page' now points to parent company's 'about page'.

After take-over, child company won't exist any more so I was thinking best to redirect entire domain to parent company using 301 redirect?

All new to me, so any tips/advice will be a big help.

Cheers.

findtim

Top Contributor
301 redirect is what i have always used and had no issues with.

is it a database driven site? or just pages?

depends how large the site is as to what code you use.

if you PM me i can give you my guys contact details who does this type of stuff for me.

tim

theseoconsultant

Top Contributor
Yeah 301 is the best way.

In the htaccess file, use RedirectMatch 301, rather than the standard Redirect 301 - unless you want to "redirect 301" for EVERY page.

If you use the RedirectMatch 301 command, it will redirect all pages/sub-directories for the website.

James

Top Contributor
- Look at your top linked pages and map those up to the correct ones on the new site.
- Set up rules for other pages as said above for other lower level pages.
- you can also go and review the top line links and use out reach to get them changes if they are very high value links.
- You would also want to test every thing in software such as Screaming Frog and monitor changes in Webmaster tools.
- I would also do a post launch audit to make sure that every thing has been done correctly.

Kind regards.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member