What's new

Best keyword for Geo Domains

ttfan

Top Contributor
I've been doing some research on Geo domains, and I'm looking at investing in some.
I think the major cities and tourist locations are pretty well taken, so I'm looking at new smaller/country towns that perhaps host major tourist events, which puts them on the map.

What would be the top keywords for these types of towns? I'm thinking:
Geo + accomodation.com.au
Geo + hotels.com.au
Geo + realestate.com.au
Geo + event.com.au
What others are worth considering?
Thanks guys!

snoopy

Top Contributor
I've been doing some research on Geo domains, and I'm looking at investing in some.
I think the major cities and tourist locations are pretty well taken, so I'm looking at new smaller/country towns that perhaps host major tourist events, which puts them on the map.

They tend to be taken because that is the only area where there is money. I'd be careful about any of this kind of stuff. Mayor cities and major tourist spots ok, but not sure about all those 2 words combo's, it sounds very 2012. Might be better following the drops and looking for some reasonable place names?

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks snoopy.
If you were looking for accommodation say in Byron Bay, would you not search for Byron Bay hotels or Byron Bay Accommodation? So wouldn't ByronBayAccommodation.com.au be the best domain for this?

findtim

Top Contributor
it sounds very 2012
true.

having come from byron its a good example of what works and what doesn't, i've seen HEAPS of domains that start with "byronbay" drop and not be picked eg: things like , .....beachhouse, .....holidayhouse/unit/flat, ( they may be registered but you get the drift).

one thing that rings true ALL the time is CONTENT but how small do you go? "clunesaccommodation" is taken, a village containing a pub and postoffice/bottleshop/grocer/petrol station near lismore ! or a pop 1063 just above ballarat.

whats still available is probably because there is no worth and certainly no resale potential
australias smallest town cooladdi, pop 270, cooladdiaccommodation is available but there is no accommodation in cooladdi :(

tim

robert

Top Contributor
I own ALL the geo + hotels.com.au for the capital cities except Sydney.
I own SydneyAccommodation.com.au AdelaideAccommodation.com.au BrisbaneAccommodation.com.au ...
Make me an offer that blows my socks off :)

robert

Top Contributor
If you want to get a foot in the door, I own dozens of "smaller/country towns" type names.
KarrathaHotels.com.au
BrokenHillHotels.com.au
BunburyHotels.com.au
BatemansBayHotels.com.au
DubboHotels.com.au
YallingupHotels.com.au
WaggaWaggaHotels.com.au
PortStephensHotels.com.au

I had the same idea as you, and I think it can work (with some decent effort!) but I'm too busy with other projects to really give this a go.. Email me if you want the full list and I'm sure we can work out a decent price...

helloworld

Top Contributor
Booking.com marketing budget is $2billion. I'd suggest finding a better niche ...though regional areas might get some cut through if you're marketing b2b as those areas traditionally use a local agent i.e. Hello world/Flight Centre etc etc

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!
I'm looking two smaller towns, where a major attraction is going to put them on the map (IMO) soon, and apart from the name.com.au, none of the geo+keyword.com.au are yet taken.
So I'm looking to just invest in a couple of the top keywords... and what those keywords should be is what I'm asking. :)

Jamie-AU

whats still available is probably because there is no worth and certainly no resale potential
australias smallest town cooladdi, pop 270, cooladdiaccommodation is available but there is no accommodation in cooladdi :(

I think one of the reason a lot of these <insert town name>accommodation.com.au domains have been registered goes back to the days when Google used to place a much higher emphasis on keywords appearing in the actual domains. You ended up with the situation whereby say a (ficticious) motel called "Golden Motel" in Ballarat wouldn't use goldenmotel.com.au as their website address, but ballarataccommodation.com.au purely for search engine ranking purposes, since people were much likely to search generally for "accommodation" in Ballarat rather than "Golden Motel".

Whenever I see an accommodation property using <insert town name>accommodation.com.au for their website, I cringe, as I personally think they really should be using their real business name, rather than trying to use a generic domain of bunches of keywords, for the sole purpose of appeasing search engines.

findtim

Top Contributor
problem is that it still works in rankings, my clients have many. and so what ! i'm looking for a motel in ballarat and i just found one !
the main reason mostly for the success of my clients is that they have been online for 10 years + so they have a history with google + the keywords in the domain not high tech SEO, not even specsavers, opsm etc can outrank some of my optoms.
i still suggest this tactic today for country areas where traditional media is still used, nobody will remember john connell dentist but they will remember they met a dentist in ballarat whos website name is ballaratdentist not johnconnelldentist
the above however play by the other rules and thats CONTENT is king, and google likes change so a blog post does a lot to keeping google interested.

EMD's now offer less but still work when played with the other cards in the deck.
tim

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Whenever I see an accommodation property using <insert town name>accommodation.com.au for their website, I cringe, as I personally think they really should be using their real business name, rather than trying to use a generic domain of bunches of keywords, for the sole purpose of appeasing search engines.

Actually it's appeasing customers because this is what they search for.
Secondly, there's no reason you can't have two websites, one for generic searches and one for your own brand. It's really a Frank Schilling vs Mark Cuban argument but like the kid in the add says.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member