1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning of the End ?

Discussion in 'gTLDs' started by DnEbook, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

I read that Namecheap.Com are no longer going to support the .xyz extension ...... this is not a good sign for this extension that offered domains for a penny in the hope of high retention of renewals

2. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I think that a lot of the extensions that are sold off cheaply tend to be commonly abused and less trusted.

I've only come across a few legitimate .xyz sites (maybe 2 or 3 ever?). On the flip side, I've seen it banned and filtered due to spam. I see this extension discussed the most when referring to spam.

I know it's a generalisation, but the trust factor can't be underestimated. Hard to beat .com/com.au when it comes to confidence.

Rhythm, Scott7 and DnEbook like this.
  3. DnEbook

Whilst this extension does not suffer the problem, the creation of plurals and singulars is just a money grab. .photo .photos .image .images .video .videos ...... but the offer of dirt cheap domains to be used just for spam was never going to work in the long term. Interesting to see if other registrars start "black listing" some of the new Gtlds. I cannot recall ever seeing a .xyz website

Scott7 likes this.
  4. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

This^

Also meaning - not unlike life, a domain name without meaning is purposeless and pointless - therefore worthless

5. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

NameNotTooCheap.com

6. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

They're still selling other crap domains like .click which I seem to be getting spammed with atm

7. DnEbook

I don't like many of the new Gtld's but it does seem .club has some legs, I do not own any though

8. DnEbook

9. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You raise an interesting point. As a photographer the plural/single extensions dilutes the strength of the other. Currently I don't own any of these types of extensions.

DnEbook likes this.
  10. DnEbook

11. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

DnEbook likes this.
  12. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Those thoughts did occur to me as well.. to go in and say I'll have .mcdonalds then later retract does raise issues!

DnEbook and DomainNames like this.