What's new

Becoming a .com.au registrar

Caz

A question for you.

How many users on here are registrars?

It takes appx 3000 to start up and 3000 aud a year. Is that correct? And the obligatory credit to be added.

Am I missing something?

VentraIP

Top Contributor
You are missing a lot.

There is a reason why there are only 38 registrars.

You need to develop a system that can pass AusRegistry's test. I can assure you, this is not as easy as it might seem.

You need the $10,000 initial account top-up to AusRegistry.

You need to have the appropriate insurance policies in place.

You need to have a website that complies with auDA's policy.

When you've got all of that ready, then you're able to apply to become a registrar. :)

Caz

It was more to catch them Scott.

So to become a registrar you actually have to prove and trade as a public domain registrar?

You can't just become one to manage your own portfolio or register domains for a select few.

Here in the UK anyone can become a registrar and you don't even need a system.

Thanks for all the replies.

Caz

There are many other ways to sell domain names, Caz. If you want to resell domains and not have to go through this extreme process and investment, I'd be looking into reseller platforms like VentraIP, NetRegistry, AussieHQ, etc.

So do these resellers allow instant creation of domains? Say I could check the au domain availability for more than the 20 an hour lots of companies say and when it pings available send a reg request through api to a reseller. Is this possible or does everyone use the drop web sites?

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
So do these resellers allow instant creation of domains? Say I could check the au domain availability for more than the 20 an hour lots of companies say and when it pings available send a ref request through api to a reseller. Is this possible or does everyone use the drop web sites?

Not sure about the others are I've only studied the API Documentation for VentraIP, but you could easily create your own PHP script to check domain availability on a regular basis (I'm thinking cron job) then purchase it via API when it flags as available. However I doubt it will be as swift as something like Drop.

Caz

Not sure about the others are I've only studied the API Documentation for VentraIP, but you could easily create your own PHP script to check domain availability on a regular basis (I'm thinking cron job) then purchase it via API when it flags as available. However I doubt it will be as swift as something like Drop.

Ah ok so it is possible.

Why wouldn't it be as quick as drop ?

Guess you just need to find the registrar with an api who is closest to the domain registries servers.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I would assume it's a little slower as it has to go through the VentraIP API etc etc. However, there's only one good way to find out! ;)

Caz

Caz, our domain name regos are instant.

I thought as much. Seems you have an excellent business all round looking at what and how you do things.

So is there a limit to the number of registration requests you can send to the registry?

Caz you should take a look at auDA Policy - as the Ventra boys said there is a lot to being a registrar, more than just spending a few dollars.

Also registrars are not permitted to register domain names for themselves - you are better off being a reseller, as that rule doesn't apply.

Most registrars have a reseller program - I know Ventra just launched their program, it is worth having a chat to them.

Caz

Hi

Yes already ruled that out. Fail on rules and money lol

So how do companies that catch the domain and then sell to the highest bidder get away with it?

Mick

Top Contributor
@ ventraIP what trace times do your servers have to the au epp?

<10ms. Ausreg is in Melb, our servers for domains are in Syd which goes via our own interstate link to our Melb network from Syd :)

johno69

Top Contributor
So how do companies that catch the domain and then sell to the highest bidder get away with it?

Not sure what they are "getting away with"..

But they just auction off the right to have your info in the new registrant box when they attempt to register the domain for their client in the fastest possible time.

If you win the auction they put your info there, and if they are the faster registrar to register the domain then it's yours.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member