What's new

backup hell

findtim

Top Contributor
even the best of us can get caught aka me !
i had 2 sites, 2 different hosts
first at gator, they backup weekly, i had my backup buddy backup x 2 and i thought i had another on another server.
so i'm cleaning up files as i am moving servers and think " ahh, i've moved that, DELETE " and went on my merry way, 2 days later helena says " wheres blabla.com.au ? " and i look, it hadn't been moved to new server ! so thats 1 backup deleted and one that didn't exist, leaving me the 2 on my computer, no worrries just upload, well the upload won't load, so i unpack the zip and upload the files but the database i can't find, so i try to upload again without files and it stops dead, so i fix that error and it stops again saying database is corrupted, so i revert back to old servers and try it there, no joy, so now i have 2 half sites, so i go to gator and ask for a restore, they only restore to last backup...7 hours ago, so they have backed up an empty site ! so when a server says they back up thats bullsh*t, they need to backup and have an archive.
finally i find the database and upload it manually and it doesn't work as the new server username has a conflict, so i fix that but then it conflicts with the sql, so i fix that finally i get it up ! its a MESS but its all there, so now helena has to go through and redo the site structure but at least we have all the files and CONTENT, content was the one that was going to hurt most.

now to netvirtue, we were working on doing some major changes to a shopping cart and could only really see it live, in hindsight i should have took the time to create a duplicate and work on that but i was sure it was correct, well got it all finished all checked and onto other things, then something made me check again, my computer had cached some pages and had now un cached so the whole site was STUFFED, menus all over the place, missing style sheets, pages not loading.
i had a backup in my computer but it was a bit old, i got it back to 90% but still ugly so i contacted netvirtue and they asked " what date do you want" so i picked 2 days ago, just before i started making changes and 30 minutes later it was back to new, obviously i lost my work but i contacted them at 7 am and it was working before the client started work......brilliant, WHY, because they archive backups !
my stupidity hopefully helps someone else, check whats REALLY being backed up with your server.
i really thought i had it all covered and in reality i did, but i had a broken backup and was able to drag peices out of it which most owners couldn't do, check check check before delete ( which i thought i did, i didn't check the who is to see which server it was sitting on, if i had i wouldn't have deleted it )
tim

findtim

Top Contributor
nice article demoniod.

the moral/message is don't panic.
take a step back for a minute.
take stock of what you have and don't have
experiment on different domain
place " schedule maintenance" type holding page with their phone number, FAR better then a broken site, a broken site people won't come back to as they will think its always that way.
revert back to default theme eg: twentysixteen

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads