1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Government To Consider Public Comments On ICANNs gTLD’s

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by Simon Johnson, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Simon Johnson

Simon Johnson Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  2. hadhad

hadhad Membership: Community

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. Max

Max Membership: Community

**I was thinking about it, and let's say, for example, there was a social site called 'facespace' and I was a member with a url of 'facespace.com/hadhad', do you think we would be seeing 'hadhad.facespace' instead?**

There is nothing new about anything.leftofthedot.com .. its a sub domain .. anybody with a domain can do that .. you dont need a web site to create a sub domain as you would know you do need a web site to create a forward slash / sub web page .. thats not a sub domain in the true sense ..

Sub domain creation is a viable enterprise example is the retail sale of .US.COM ect .. anything.US.COM .. been around for many years .. http://www.us.com

The new kids on the block are

http://www.leftofthedot.com

Featured on this months dnjournal http://www.dnjournal.com/events/2010/traffic-vancouver-review.htm

That might have legs if they can attract enough premium domain names into the stable .. interesting slant on an old concept that has previously had more use for personal email addresses ...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. hadhad

hadhad Membership: Community

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. Honan

Honan Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hadad is talking about right of the dot
    This is def. not subdomains
    I think it is $usd185k just for ICANN to evaluate an application
    More like $1 million to cover all costs in year 1 for each new gTLD
    See the Draft application guidebook at http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/related-en.htm
    Tempting as it is to apply for the gTLD of .QLD , just so I could sell Max the DN max.qld, somehow I do not think I would recoup the rest of my million bucks after allowing for the amount Max would pay :)
    My take on the new gtlds is that it will completely obliterate the wholesale market in every extension except com/net/org and the Country Codes that are regulated like our own .au
    Codes like ws , cc , mobi, info etc will become a wasteland of wasted money for domainers
    It may indeed turn out to be a very good thing that the regulators have done such a good job of maintaining the integrity the .au space

6. Max

Max Membership: Community

I was a little tongue in cheek with my comments there Joe .. having just read the story on DNJ about www.leftofthedot.com ...

Do we actually have .AU .. i read some where once that the .AU extension was over ruled in favour of putting a .COM in front of .AU because that sounded/looked more commercial for business purposes .. so that scenario sounds pretty silly to me ..

What if the powers that be ever release .AU onto the public .. that will make the actual sub domain .COM.AU pretty much worthless :)

On that subject WWW. is really a sub domain also .. i mean who needs WWW we need HTTP:// we dont need WWW ..

Try out your own domains with this W V W .. WVW. .. wvw.earth.com that will work ..

Now i have totally confused myself you could sell me max.qld with out any problem :)

Whois buying .CO ?