What's new

aussiehost IPs blacklisted

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
This is a problem with share hosting accounts, and in fairness to aussiehost.com they are probably not to blame here.. it's more likely some nuffy neglected to update his wordpress or set some lax username and password combo.

I rarely use shared hosting these days, but I do still have an account with aussiehost for some legacy sites. Today I logged into one such site to do some maintenance and noticed that my McAfee SiteAdvisor browser plugin was indicating the site has "potential security risks. Use extreme caution".

This came as a bit of shock to me as I run a fairly tight ship dev wise and the site in question is custom built, but I do know that sometimes completely safe sites are blacklisted. Having cleaned a few malware infected sites for clients in past, I know it's important to sort this out before more problems occur, so I checked out the report and noticed a user had posted this comment:

This domain or its subdomain is currently hosting or directing to one or more files containing trojans, viruses or other malware. Whether it's intentional or the site has been maliciously hacked and compromised, you should stay clear from here in order to avoid infecting your computer. Remember that sometimes just browsing of a web page is enough to get you infected.

More info: http://www.malwareurl.com/listing.php

And then I looked at the user account profile:

View Profile: Nodus, Experienced Reviewer
Last Activity: Today 12:29 AM
Reviewer information

Total Posts: 1,045,915 ( 731.01 posts per day)
Since: 07-07-2007

By looking at the IP of the hosting account on malwareurl.com I can even see more of my sites are on the list:

http://www.malwareurl.com/listing.php?domain=122.201.100.46

At one point some malware was found on the server and there is even a thread on the aussiehost forums from Novemeber last year.

I know quite a few members here are hosting with them, is this something you have noticed, experienced or are concerned with?

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
I just checked some of my sites on AussieHost (thanks for that link to malwareurl.com).

Mine all seem to be good, but I have a different IP address to the one you mentioned.

Why don't you send Aussie Bob an email? He is very quick to respond generally.

bob@aussiehost.com

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Update:

It took a while to get a response, but I successfully disputed the rating for the server with McAfee:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about the SiteAdvisor web safety analysis of your website.

SiteAdvisor senior engineers have cleared this domain for a green Web safety rating switch.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member