1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie domain registrars sued over alleged fake invoice scam

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by ttfan, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aussie-domain-registrars-sued-over-alleged-fake-invoice-scam-470631
    Two Australian domain name registration companies are being taken to court by the competition watchdog for an alleged fake invoice scam that reaped $2.3 million from their customers.

Domain Name Corp and Domain Name Agency - both managed by the same director, Steven Bell - are alleged to have sent out 300,000 unsolicited notices to businesses that were designed to look like renewal notices for domain names.

DomainNames likes this.
  2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Wonder how the ACCC is going to go with it, just looking at the image in the article it doesn't really look like a renewal notice to me, says "domain name available", "invitation to register".

I suspect the people who paid didn't really read the document and I guess that is what the people behind it rely on.

Scott.L likes this.
  3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i've had clients get fooled by this, they are cleverly worded, i've posted before about them and their collins st office which is just a rental suite they never use.
    i've actually spoken to them ( this is a repeat of a past post) as one of the guys name is "tim" so coincidentally its help them scam my clients.
    and i have spoken to tim ! who basically told me to F**k off and what was i gonna do about it?
    they also are by passing the domain name who is details and sending straight to the address of the business, based on my research they are using something like a yellow pages database.
    anyway, its plain trickery and should be shut down.

whether they can manage that or not is another story.
    tim

4. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
  5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    and what will the new name be?