What's new

AusRegistry and auDA Domain Name Survey

chris

Top Contributor
A survey of more than 3,000 Australians is the second annual report to investigate domain name use and ownership in Australia.

The report found .au remains Australia’s home on the Internet with more than double the level of trust over any other namespace.

George Pongas, General Manager of Naming Services at AusRegistry, said the results show the .au brand position is built on a foundation of trust, reliability and security.

“Two-thirds of survey respondents are more likely to trust a .au website compared with only one-third for a .com,” Mr Pongas said.

“Security and trust were a recurring theme and we found that Australian Internet users are security conscious when navigating the web. Trusted organisations (64%) and secure websites (61%) both ranked high in factors that are important for Australians navigating the Internet.

You can read the whole report here:

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/survey-finds-australians-prefer-au-domain-names

snoopy

Top Contributor
In other news...Burger King survey finds 2/3 of people prefer Whoppers to Big Mac's. Let's file this under "sales pitch" rather than research.

In other news...Burger King survey finds 2/3 of people prefer Whoppers to Big Mac's. Let's file this under "sales pitch" rather than research.

That's not fair Snoopy :)

The survey was undertaken by a third party (for auDA and AusRegistry) and obtained feedback from a wide group of people. The sample size was significant for it to truly reflect public views. It is provides a good snap shot.

findtim

Top Contributor
ahh snoopy, a survey of 3000 is pretty good considering auda only have 165 members ! i wonder if they also gave them info on how to vote for the auda board ? but that may not have been included in the brief?

The barriers to increasing female registrations is an active area of investigation and auDA’s recent promotion of the 2014 Australia and New Zealand Internet Awards calls for more females to get their businesses online and embrace the benefits and success it can afford.

what barrier to entry for females? name a female without internet access and a credit card ! i'd say 30% of my clients are female and growing.

what you will find ( in my experience ) australian women are using ebay, etsy, facebook, pinterest, instagram, and have by passed the domain name registration.

the women i deal with have bricks and mortar so a domain name is best, but they then use the above to SEO.

i also have female clients that ONLY use the above with just a small 1-5 page website just as a internet presence
to add to credibility.

so i feel that's where the numbers are screwed up. aussie women know how to work the freebies and australia has the most switched on internet women per capita in the world.

i know this as i sit next to helena every day !

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
That's not fair Snoopy :)

The survey was undertaken by a third party (for auDA and AusRegistry) and obtained feedback from a wide group of people. The sample size was significant for it to truly reflect public views. It is provides a good snap shot.

The survey was undertaken by a company being paid by Auda and Ausregistry, for the purposes of producing material for advertising and self promotion.

Findings,

-Auda doing a great job
-Ausregistry doing a great job

Key recommendation,

• "Continue to survey Australian Internet users."
  • Waffle about increasing female registrants
  • Waffle about security
  • Waffle about increasing domain holdings
  • Waffle about "monitoring gtlds"

By the way I'm not joking with the first quote, the first recommendation by the survey company really is to keep doing more surveys.

An unbiased 3rd party would tell Auda to stop wasting money on stuff like this.

findtim

Top Contributor
good come back snoopy

my "on the ground" feedback for SMB's is that the .com.au is a trusted extention, both in websites and an email being received eg: john@bricksandmortar.com.au

but an independent report PAID for by the governing body is never going to be independent as if its bad they will never hire the survey business again.

"ask enough of the right people and you will get the right answer" i was always told.

i got a call from a potential new client today, they found me from a small local charity site i did for free, so i just kept listening, turns out to be a local government department wanting to dump some money before the EOFY to do an upgrade to their website, justifying their next year budget i suspect. this is where your tax goes people ! surveys , website, brochures, adverts etcccc

did i say " NO WAY, that is disgusting and a total misuse of government funding"......... of course i didn't :)

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members