What's new

auDA urges Australian businesses to back .com.au

DomainNames

Top Contributor
http://www.zdnet.com/article/auda-urges-australian-businesses-to-back-au/

"Australian privately run domain regulator auDA said it would like to see more local companies supporting the nation's top level commercial domain suffix, .com.au.

auDA CEO, Chris Disspain, says that while most of Australia's flagship companies control versions of their trademark or brand within both the .com.au and .com domain -- widely perceived to be a United States domain -- some are marrying it to the latter.

Disspain believes it would be more beneficial for Australian companies to give their patronage to the Australian commercial domain rather than "branding themselves as generic" on the Internet.

"Some of the bigger companies should be demonstrating to their customers and their fellow businesses that they support the Australian market, and advertising and branding a .com.au name does that", said Disspain.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting how there is material put out by auDA promoted that people should invest in .com.au names.

Many .com.au domain name Consumers have invested in .com.au due to the materials put out by auDA over many years.

In a Class Action against auDA and the auDA Board for proceeding with the proposed competing direct /au extension this sort of material will most obviously be presented to show how .com.au domain name registrants consumers made their domain name extension choice taking into account materials put out by not just auDA but other auDA Directors and Supply entities.

The auDA Board had the responsibility to not only look at all materials auDA put out but to have notified all the affected parties before now. By failing to contact existing .au registrants who may have bought the .com.au based on auDA materials, neglecting to advise them of the risk and extra costs, neglecting to advise them if they would even get the proposed additional competing .au extension it will raise serious legal and consumer questions..

It is my opinion NO Director or Officer indemnity insurance will cover auDA past or present Directors or Officers relating to the proposed competing .au extension. I am fairly sure the insurance provider will not want to get into a Class Action or any form of litigation about it. The insurance company will most likely so "sorry no D and O insurance cover under the circumstances".

Why buy a $35,000 .com.au domain name?
https://www.ausregistry.com.au/why-buy-a-35000-au-domain-name/

DomainNames

Top Contributor
auDA Director Ned O'Meara
auDA Director Nicole Murdoch
http://www.grumpy.com.au/our-platform/

" Our Thoughts On Direct Registration

We were both on the auDA 2015 Names Panel, and part of the Minority Report that did not agree with the need for direct registrations. Two years later we are even more convinced of this. It will effectively be a “double tax” on existing registrants – and an unnecessary “cash grab” by some.

• Causes confusion in the market place
  • Distracts from a premium domain
  • Possible unfair implementation
  • Forces registrants to “defensively register” domains
  • However, we do realise that there are some who have a different point of view to ourselves. Those that are in favour of direct registration. To them we say this. We respect your point of view – but we’d hope you’d agree and believe in proper process being followed. Our consistent position is that if auDA contacts every single registrant of an .au domain name and gives them the opportunity to “have a say” about introducing direct registrations (with full facts as to costs and implications), then we will accept the majority view. This hasn’t been done to date – and it should be. We must ensure that the decision is truly representational, and not a veiled attempt at pushing an agenda.
  • If a full and proper consultation is not done, we commit to try and overturn the existing direct registration decision at Board level.
  • If we are unsuccessful, then we’ll do our best to ensure that existing com.au registrants are protected and afforded priority rights. Why com.au registrants as opposed to any other .au extension? Because com.au holds approximately 90% of all domains in Australia."

findtim

Top Contributor
whilst those are not my words, i will say that was my position when elected in 2016 and nothing has changed.
i also believe that it is in the best interests of the organisation to do so, i must act on that basis and i am.
tim

ttfan

Top Contributor
whilst those are not my words, i will say that was my position when elected in 2016 and nothing has changed.
That is good Tim, and I think that was one of main reasons you got your votes when elected. However I can see no evidence that your position has made ANY impact on the decisions or position of auda though, which would make some of us wonder what is the point of having a director that supports our views, yet does not make a difference.
No offense intended, it's just my observation. I have no idea what goes on behind the curtains, but whatever does go on, it does not appear to make an impact. Perhaps you need to be more vocal, or need some support from other directors.

Scott7

Top Contributor
That is good Tim, and I think that was one of main reasons you got your votes when elected. However I can see no evidence that your position has made ANY impact on the decisions or position of auda though, which would make some of us wonder what is the point of having a director that supports our views, yet does not make a difference.
No offense intended, it's just my observation. I have no idea what goes on behind the curtains, but whatever does go on, it does not appear to make an impact. Perhaps you need to be more vocal, or need some support from other directors.
It is my position that it's always better to have someone representing your views, even if they are in the minority and even if their impact is not obvious from the outside. Being more vocal doesn't necessarily assist your cause when you don't have the numbers, however, if you are genuine, honest and respectful in your dealings, then you will have an influence on others. Without that influence, your cause, and that of those you represent, is weakened.

I believe that Tim has played a vital role in his position at auDA. It takes a lot of courage to stand as a minority voice. This is especially so when you have to face your disappointed supporters, without being able to share details of what you have done on their behalf. As difficult as it may be to grasp, we have a stronger standing within auDA today because of Tim's representation.

Now that he has been joined by Nicole and Ned, that strength has been built upon by increased numbers and a broader range of skill sets. Tim has paved the way and he deserves kudos for that.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Most people would never have known auDA has known all along the Demand class membership and Demand Class Board positions had been STACKED for years by people in Supply.

Now people can judge clearly if the Supply side has been pushing the competing additional .au extension agenda over the years and the process which has been followed by auDA and the heavily Supply stacked board on both demand and supply sides..

Here is some of the evidence
.. https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2007/070416/ what has changed in the last 10 years until this last AGM Board election really?

I wrote to the auDA Board and Government Minister Senator Mitch Fifield today so they can consider it tomorrow at the 12 December 2017 auDA Board meeting.

I request this email and the Casual vacancy for the auDA Demand position is discussed and minuted at the 12 December 2017 auDA Board and that auDA provides an update to all members who from Demand membership will be offered the role and when they will actually start.

With the current casual vacancy being unfilled still Demand class is underrepresented again and this highlights the old issue that the Supply side had in the past more power over decisions and that they had "stacked" Demand membership and Board Demand positions. This fact is well documented including by auDA on numerous official minutes over the years. Of course the unredacted auDA Board minutes would go into even more detail of this Supply side "stacking" problem of Demand memberships and Demand Board positions over the years.

Demand class must have a true demand class experienced member representing them in the casual auDA Demand Class Board position...not someone really who represented or has been put in by the Supply sides various tactics and not someone who does not know the domain name Demand side issues.

auDA needs to utilise the skillset of someone with real demand class domain name industry experience .

https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2007/070416/

"9. Constitutional Review
The board discussed a paper drafted by CN outlining possible changes to the auDA Constitution to address three issues:

1. potential supply side capture of demand class
2. supply related person standing as a demand class director
3. related entities holding multiple supply class memberships.

The board affirmed the need to ensure that the Constitution is effective and achieves auDA’s objectives. The board also noted the importance of achieving a fair and reasonable balance between supply and demand, obesrving that there will always be a tendency for demand class to be under-represented.

The board agreed changes to address issues 2 and 3 above, as proposed in paras 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 of the board paper. It was decided that the change proposed in para 4.3 of the board paper to address issue 1 may not be effective, and further consideration should be given to options for increasing demand class membership and making it more representative.

Motion (proposed JR, seconded Julie H): That the proposed new definition of ‘Supply Related Person’ and proposed amendments to clauses 9.4 and 18.3 be put to members at an EGM. Carried unanimously.

Action: The board to set up a sub-committee to consider demand class membership issues."

snoopy

Top Contributor
Those minutes from 10 years ago say it all. At least they admitted the problems back then.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member