What's new

auDA Policy Review Panel update

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://auda.org.au/mailouts/auDA+Plain+Announce/Policy+Review+Panel+Update
QUOTED
"Policy Review Panel Update
Statement by John Swinson, Chair of the 2017 Policy Review Panel

I am delighted today to announce the following changes to the membership of the Policy Review Panel and to give an update on the Panel’s activities.

It is with regret that I accepted the resignation of the Panel’s academic representative, Professor Andrew Christie. The Panel and I thank Andrew for his contribution to the Panel’s work on .au policy, and for his contribution to .au policy development over many years. We wish Andrew every success for the future.

I am however delighted to announce that Professor Dan Hunter has been appointed as the Academic Representative replacing Professor Christie.

Professor Hunter is the founding Dean of Swinburne Law School and among many other achievements is a former panellist for the resolution of domain name disputes for the World Intellectual Property Organization.

I am also pleased to announce that Ian Halson has been appointed as a demand class member representative to the Panel, replacing Luke Summers.

Ian is director of LemonStone Group Ltd. and has a long association with the Australian domain name industry.

I also announced recently that Nicola Seaton has been appointed as a Business representative. Ms Seaton is a General Counsel and Company Secretary for Canstar, a leading finance comparison site and the Panel welcomes Nicola.

There has been discussion recently over the size and composition of the Panel. I have listened to this feedback and believe the Panel will benefit from a further diversity of membership. There were many well-qualified individuals who submitted expressions of interest last year and I intend to reach out to these individuals to assess their ongoing interest. I anticipate making further announcements on new Panel members in the near future.

Panel Activities
We have completed four public forums in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and have received 60 submissions following the release on our Registrant Policy Issues Paper in January. I genuinely appreciate and thank all those auDA members, stakeholders and interested parties who attended the Forums and who took the time to provide submissions.

The diversity of views is significant. I give you all an undertaking that the Panel is fully considering each submission and every issue raised at the forums carefully and extensively. It is our job to be objective, informed and principled with our deliberations. I assure you that the Panel will assess every submission and every issue raised.

There has been conjecture around the development of a business case around the proposed introduction of direct registration.

I want to reiterate that this will happen.

auDA is currently considering an appropriate organisation to conduct this research and at this stage I am advised that a university economic faculty appears the most appropriate entity to do so.

However I have to reiterate that it is impractical for auDA to commission a business case analysis until the Panel has landed on a proposed implementation model.

Whilst the most recent public forums and consultation process considered a number of models, the Panel is yet to finalise an implementation model which will form the basis of this specific business case assessment. It is therefore imperative that the Panel’s activities continue before auDA can commence this important, independent analysis.

I would also like to inform you that I am looking to release an interim report to the board of auDA in the next few weeks.

The Panel has completed a lot since its inception, and the Panel welcomes feedback and diversity of opinion.

I will provide all interested parties an update soon regarding new Panel members and other activities and I encourage all parties to continue to participate in the consultative process.

John Swinson
Chairman – Policy Review Panel
16 April 2018"​

geodomains

Top Contributor
I want to reiterate that this will happen.
I don't understand how someone can say in one sentence the above and they haven't even done a proper business case research for implementing au.
It's almost laughable that a proper business case research has not been done to this point.
No wonder the panel members keep leaving.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
worth the Panel and people reading.. Millions of people and companies bought the .com.au directly based on advertising and marketing materials put out by auDA and Supply Registrars.

It would be a huge mistake for auDA and anyone in Supply to damage the string existing .au namespace or anyone's investment and support in it.

This includes auDA planning to run massive $million campaigns ( using profits made off .com.au owners) to promote the ir proposed competing additional .au extension. What will this do to the existing .namespace and the global trust in the existing .au namespace?

They need to be very careful not to risk it for some perceived cash grab advantages they may benefit from damagaing so many others.

Damaging the existing .au namespace in any way by auDA is against the Commonwealth letters of concern and their letters of support auDA relies on to maintain it's .au namespace management role. It;s not just a small technical issue it is very serious.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Does auDA and the auDA Foundation have $23 million in the bank?.... we ( all .au domain name cosnumers including .au wholesale Registrars Consumers and Reseller Consumers) have already been ripped off.

Now we see plans to blow $12 million on advertising the competing ,au extension and promoting auDA??? NO thanks!

.au domain name Registar Consumers, Reseller Consumers and .au domain name Registrant/ Owner Consumers have been and are continuing to be Ripped Off under auDA manegement of the .au namespace.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Now we see plans to blow $12 million on advertising the competing ,au extension and promoting auDA??? NO thanks!

The chair referenced this in his letter but I can find no auDA release about it (or many of the other claimed achievements such as the wholesale price change).

From the new tld examples and .uk it is pretty clear than advertising a new extension doesn't achieve much.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
The chair referenced this in his letter but I can find no auDA release about it (or many of the other claimed achievements such as the wholesale price change).

From the new tld examples and .uk it is pretty clear than advertising a new extension doesn't achieve much.

In the .uk they advertised it was FREE....

DomainNames

Top Contributor
.. ..don't do it save the $12 million they want to spend on "push advertising strategy" and create improved market stability not damaging anyone?

Who knows they may even create stability for the Registrars who have all been detrimentally affected also?

https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/blackout-week-protest.11580/

ANYONE who listens to the PRP meeting audio and suggestions/ recommendations will want to sack them all.

90,000 "contested" fights they are going to create? Seriously? That is a massive mistake which will lead to obvious lawsuits auDA could have avoided by not managing so poorly.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member