What's new

AUDA member database used for Ausregistry promotional material?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Anyone else just get mailed Ausregistry "Behind the dot" magazine?

Find this really strange that I'd get this and the details seem to have come from AUDA. Is AUDA just handing over all this data for Ausregistry to do what they like? Surely AUDA has a policy about commercial use of their own membership list?

snoopy

Top Contributor
auDA members are sent printed copies. Personally, I'm ok with that.

I find it really strange myself because this is an Ausregistry magazine, it is self promotion/advertising. I get the feeling that there is no hope of the .com.au contract ever going out to genuine tender with AUDA seemingly "captured" by Ausregistry.

If Godaddy decides they'd like to send a newsletter to all AUDA members and wants the database list I wonder what AUDA would say to that?

Erwin

Top Contributor
Anyone else just get mailed Ausregistry "Behind the dot" magazine?

Find this really strange that I'd get this and the details seem to have come from AUDA. Is AUDA just handing over all this data for Ausregistry to do what they like? Surely AUDA has a policy about commercial use of their own membership list?
I got mine the other day.. Still nice in receiving a magazine in print to read..

findtim

Top Contributor
stats are stats, insights are propaganda, as long as everyone is aware of that its ok, just like people use to ONLY read a murdock paper whilst others ONLY read a fairfax paper, both had their own agenda. george pongas's article on direct reg is the perfect example of agenda, nothing wrong with it as long as you know where it is coming from and he has disclosures fair enough, but a present lack of alternative is no justification for "oh that will do"
auda surely have these stats and if "insights" came directly from them of course it would be totaly neutral? right !

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
auda surely have these stats and if "insights" came directly from them of course it would be totaly neutral? right !

tim

Agree, AUDA should publish the data themselves instead of handing over the membership database for a bunch of Ausregistry PR.

This is all part of the problem with AUDA where things are put in the hands of those with a vested interest.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I just had an idea. How about an auDA and Ausregistry * disclaimer when people register, renew or change of registrant. The *disclaimer is on all marketing wesbsites, email signatures,surveys, newsletters, "behind the dot", awards nights, foundation information, press releases calling for new .au etc.

Example;
* DISCLAIMER auDA makes ? $3.95 from each Australian domain name registered, renewed or change of registrant.
* DISCLAIMER AusRegistry makes ?$10 from each Australian domain name registered, renewed or change of registrant.

I did not see any such disclaimer in the AusRegistry propaganda pushing for the need to bring in the uneeded extra .au extension sell another 3 million domain names. This is nothing more than self promotion pushing a commercial profit agenda in my opinion.
https://www.ausregistry.com.au/wp.../SOTD_Final_Report_2807_v63_lowres.pdf
"Product innovation will produce the next 3 million .au domains"... ....WE MUST HAVE ANOTHER NEW AUSTRALIAN EXTENSION SUCH AS .AU SO WE CAN MAKE MORE MONEY.......

snoopy

Top Contributor
* DISCLAIMER auDA makes ? $3.95 from each Australian domain name registered, renewed or change of registrant.

I think registrars should definitely highlighting this as the fee is out of kilter with what most people would expect in my view. Note also the real revenue to AUDA is higher because Ausregistry is also paying them licensing fees.

The AUDA fee should be dropped by at least $1 to $2.95, AUDA has no justification for a fee that high and is just stacking registrants cash in the bank. ($10million in bank). Even at $2.95 AUDA would still be increasing its cash holdings.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I think registrars should definitely highlighting this as the fee is out of kilter with what most people would expect in my view. Note also the real revenue to AUDA is higher because Ausregistry is also paying them licensing fees.

The AUDA fee should be dropped by at least $1 to $2.95, AUDA has no justification for a fee that high and is just stacking registrants cash in the bank. ($10million in bank). Even at $2.95 AUDA would still be increasing its cash holdings.

Why even $2.95? Why not 20 cents? auDA is supposed to be a not for profit and $10 million in the bank is obviously an example the profit is too much. But please auDA do not just think of creative ways to blow it!

Also looking at the financials the expenditure is very high and so are the non related things auDA has gotten involved with such as Awards nights and Foundations, grants etc. auDA needs to focus on it's role as just being responsible for the domain name admin.

A lot of people have commented they feel past people took auDA off track to perhaps spend the profits and perhaps set themselves up with buddy buddy contacts and other roles..

I just hope the new auDA CEO is fair minded enough to make sure no staff are flying business or first class etc anymore or living it up. Hopefully those days are now gone at auDA if they where taking place as some have mentioned.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I disagree with auDA allowing any outside entity including AusRegistry access to the auDA member database.

auDA membership should also be FREE and open to all Australian domain name registrants. auDA does not need the extra $22 a year in membership fees when they have $10 million in the bank.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Why even $2.95? Why not 20 cents? auDA is supposed to be a not for profit and $10 million in the bank is obviously an example the profit is too much. But please auDA do not just think of creative ways to blow it!

Also looking at the financials the expenditure is very high and so are the non related things auDA has gotten involved with such as Awards nights and Foundations, grants etc. auDA needs to focus on it's role as just being responsible for the domain name admin.

A lot of people have commented they feel past people took auDA off track to perhaps spend the profits and perhaps set themselves up with buddy buddy contacts and other roles..

I just hope the new auDA CEO is fair minded enough to make sure no staff are flying business or first class etc anymore or living it up. Hopefully those days are now gone at auDA if they where taking place as some have mentioned.

If it was 20 cents for example AUDA would have to dramatically cut spending, or use their cash reserve then raise prices later. Personally I think $2.95 is achievable whereas if they were lobbied for a 20 cent fee they would just dig their heels in.

I think AUDA is now in a period of dramatically increased scrutiny due to the perception of the organisation being controlled by board members with commercial interests after the .au vote, so it could be a good time to push them for long overdue changes such as this.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member