What's new

auDA Domain Transfer Policy June 1st 2008

soj

Founder
With auDA's change of policy in regards to transfer of registration ownership of .au domain names, there are a few conditions to their new policy.

• You cannot register a domain name for the sole purpose of
resale or transfer to a third party.
• You cannot transfer your domain name for the first six
months after it is registered (this does not apply to domain
names that have been renewed or previously transferred).
You can apply to auDA for authorisation to transfer within
the first six months in special circumstances.
• After six months, you can offer your domain name for sale
by any means.
• The buyer must comply with normal eligibility and allocation
rules for .au domain names.
• Transfers will be processed by the registrar of record using
a standard transfer form, and the registrar may charge a
transfer fee.

I think it is great news that au domains can now be released to the market, and it will be very interesting to see how domains sold early on will be valued, compared to say their .com counterparts.

paz

I'd like to know how they decide if you have registered a domain name for the sole purpose of resale.

If you reg a domain, throw up a splog and then sell it 6 months later - is this OK?

Wade

I think the 6 month and sole purpose of resale rule are suppose to act as a deterrent against speculators from buying up large amounts of domains.

It would be difficult to prove you broke the rules on a single domain, however on 1000 domains all purchased at the same time and put up for sale at the same time, without any other activity during the 6 month period would most probably attract some unwelcome attention.

soj

Founder
Wade, the funny thing about these rules are if you were trying to do bulk names, the auDA considers parking your names is a form of use, and can therefore get around the rule of buying the domain to resell

paz

I've also heard that domain monetisation is a legit excuse to register a domain. Especially when my ABN purpose is for web development - any domain is relevant if I put a blog on there (<5 mins work)

paz

backpackets,

This post was from around the time the ban was lifted, and probably the first day this site was open :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member