1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

auDA direct registration tactics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by eg73, Jun 28, 2019.

1. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    With the imminent implementation of direct .au registration coming into effect later this year made me think whether there are people out there currently approaching the .net.au (or .com.au, id.au etc) holders regarding the purchasing of names to increase their chances of owning the .au domain outright. Is anyone already implementing this tactic?

My other question is, will a COR change of registrant info for a domain reset the initial registration date of that domain, & void that persons eligibility status (priority category 1 status)

2. Cherie Quin

Cherie Quin Membership: Community

when does direct registration start ? I need to let me clients know

3. Data Glasses

Data Glasses Membership: VIP

I think that is the million dollar question, just let them be aware it is coming I guess

4. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Just remember these names are going to be worthless or close to. For example Sedo has only had 1 .uk in the last 12 months months for $102 versus 99 sales in .co.uk totalling $282,000.

No matter what ridiculous fighting goes on for these names keep in the back of your mind that it is a fight over fools gold and they only time they will have any value is the point of initial release..

5. Data Glasses

Over one million .Uk names to be available ....... um there was a reason they were never claimed by the .co.uk holders

6. eg73

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Does anyone know whether the creation date of a domain name stays the same when bought by another party & after a COR has been performed?

I’m sure that strong one word .com.au/net.au names will be of interest to business. Surely negotiations are happening..

7. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
  8. eg73

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi Cherie

May I ask why you feel the need to inform your clients now? Personally I wouldn’t do this, as things still needs sorting out by auDA

johno69 likes this.
  9. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

I've been keeping an eye on the uk domains over the past few weeks as the registration period expired. The registry Fasthosts jumped in at the last minute and registered the .uk version on behalf of their .co.uk holders who hadn't already registered the shorter version which soaked up a huge number of the unregistered names and the remaining names went up for auction and as expected all of the top names were snapped up. But now the smart money has put these snapped .uk names straight up for sale on the auction platform Domainlore. There's a flood of .uk names up for auction at the moment and even though there's been a few healthy sales I think most of the buyers on that site would be domainers. It looks a case of get in and out quickly to make a buck just like when a new extension arrives by the experienced domainers.

10. snoopy

That is exactly what it is, from the blogs and forums it is people outside of the UK have have little knowledge of the extension, they think it is new and will take over from .co.uk.

11. Data Glasses

No enduser desire ...... don't get stuck with em!

12. snoopy

Also sorts of crap being registered.

Someone from the Netherlands looks to have paid 40,000 GBP for shopping.uk, trophy name.