What's new

auDA continues stuffing up the .au namespace and still not listening!

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Sound like a familiar scam?
"Anton
Why did they not write to every domain holder in New Zealand, to let them know what they were planning and what the likely costs would be. It's all very well trumpeting the advantages of these new short names without letting people know exactly what cost they are up for."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/61490980/a-domain-by-any-other-name
"1234 days ago
Anton
As I read this article I became more and more outraged. My provider Webfarm and offered to sell me my own web address, www.firework.co.nz as firework.nz for a mere $1500.

If I was in the United Kingdom I would have bought this name at the standard price of well under hundred dollars.

Who are these faceless people of The Domain Commission and Internet NZ? Why are they not fronting publicly and announcing why then intend to dilute and degrade every domain name in New Zealand run by businesses. Do they not not understand what is meant by intellectual property and dilution of a brand, or are they totally committed to getting away with a scheme about as scrupulous as a Ponzi scheme?

New Zealand has hundreds of thousands of small businesses all of whom who could be in the position of being effectively stood over and robbed of their intellectual property rights unless they pay up. To a large business another $1500 is merely chump change, and they will also have lawyers on tap to assist them. But for us to protect fireworks, firework and pyro with all the various incarnations offered of .nz and .kiwi we will have costs of around $10,000. Contrast that with United Kingdom where we would have costs of about $500

The solution adopted by the United Kingdom is clear fair and without a doubt reasonable.

I would like anyone who feels as strongly about this as me to contact me at anthony@firework.co.nz and let us see what we can do. There are a number of government regulatory authorities who once this was drawn to their attention would take extreme interest in such protectionism and monopolistic behaviour."

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member