1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

auDA and Ausregistry price drop on com.au and net.au domains

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by Rhythm, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-26022009/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. Rhythm

Interesting quote from another article:

3. Ross

Ross Membership: Community

Just in case you're wondering the article being reffered to is here

http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/20090227511/Domain-Industry/auDA-a-law-unto-themselves.html

I typed the sentence into Google and found the original post... just to save everyone the effort.

There is actually a lot of info out there regarding AUDA and what happend in the early days of registering AU domain names. Interestingly, many of the people who own the premium domain names used to be on the board of AUDA.

But yeh, like any monopoly i'm sure there is a lot of stuff that's happening behind the scenes. However, with the dismissal of Shane Honey (who is probably pissed at what happend) and the court action... i'm sure details will start to emerge.

I think this is a GREAT thing... because "black boxes" tend to be good for minority of privileged individuals at the expense of the majority.

Also it's interesting that AUDA did not tender the Ausregistry contract out... any thoughts anyone?

4. soj

soj Founder

it says a new pricing drop of wholesale to $14 a domain for a 2 year licence, what does that mean for retail pricing of domain registering? what is the current wholesale price?

5. Rhythm

Retail depends on the registrars. Current wholesale is $20.35.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. soj

soj Founder

So just say a retail price is $38 now, with the new change it SHOULD bring the price down to $32, lets just hope some of the registrars get a little more competitive and drive the price down.

7. Ross

Ross Membership: Community

I'm paying $25 for my domain names... so after the decrease it will be around $19... that's assuming that they will pass the full savings.

It's fully possible that they may only reduce the price by $5 and keep an extra $1 for themselves.

Most people won't know the difference.

But yeh, across 100+ domain names... the new price does make a difference.

8. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    The price drop should be great news! Might take a little while for the wholesale price to be passed on but it certainly will based on the current level of registrar competition.

Interested to see how much funding goes into marketing. That's something that can always be improved IMO. Move some of the funds currently thrown at ineffective policing of poor over-regulated policy into making sure 'John-the-plumber' reg's a .au rather than a .com!

9. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Just noticed that Hostess have reduced their price to $20.95 for an .au domain for 2 years. Not too bad at all!

Cheers, Ned

10. DomainMarketPlace

DomainMarketPlace Membership: Community

I wonder what sort of support you get for 50c?

11. geodomains

geodomains Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You would get a nice control panel and a Indian to talk to most likely:D